Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Nikon D 90

Started by zaven62 ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon D 90

14 posts
  1. I've currently got a Fiji E900 in a Ikelite housing, with a DS51 Strobe. Great kit. I'm looking to upgrade to the new Nikon D 90, with maybe the Ikelite housing. I'm doing my research, but need advice on lens, lens ports. Going to use the DS51 till have enough money for larger strobe/s. Help please

  2. I've currently got a Fiji E900 in a Ikelite housing, with a DS51 Strobe. Great kit. I'm looking to upgrade to the new Nikon D 90, with maybe the Ikelite housing. I'm doing my research, but need advice on lens, lens ports. Going to use the DS51 till have enough money for larger strobe/s. Help please

     

    Hi and welcome.

     

    If you want wide angle look at the Tokina 10-17, You _will_ need the 8" Ike dome port.

     

    To be honest you will have a real tough time lighting this lens with a single DS51 so a better bet may be to look at :-

     

    Macro, either the 60 or 105mm - these will need a flat port.

     

    Your best bet would be to do a search on this site for the above lenses - there has been loads of info posted.

     

     

    Best regards,

     

    Paul C

  3. Thanks for the advice. That was extremely helpful!

  4. Hi Zaven62,

     

    I'm in a similar situation as you but not in any hurry with the Aussie dollar so low at the moment. For a couple of

    options at home have a look at these, both based in Sydney and with some pick-up options in other capitals.

    Discount digital photographics

    Digital Camera Warehouse

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  5. The Aussie Dollar is hopelessly low at the moment, I will wait till it picks up before buying.

    Thanks for the tips.

     

    Hi Zaven62,

     

    I'm in a similar situation as you but not in any hurry with the Aussie dollar so low at the moment. For a couple of

    options at home have a look at these, both based in Sydney and with some pick-up options in other capitals.

    Discount digital photographics

    Digital Camera Warehouse

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  6. I've currently got a Fiji E900 in a Ikelite housing, with a DS51 Strobe. Great kit. I'm looking to upgrade to the new Nikon D 90, with maybe the Ikelite housing. I'm doing my research, but need advice on lens, lens ports. Going to use the DS51 till have enough money for larger strobe/s. Help please

    I'm also looking at the D90. Have you made your purchase yet? I'd be very interested in what lenses you went with and if you're happy with them. I currently have an Oly C-4000 point and shoot with a Light & Motion housing and a Sea & Sea YS90-DX strobe. I'm planning on keeping the strobe for use with the D90. Have you been happy with your Ikelite housing?

  7. The Aussie Dollar is hopelessly low at the moment

     

    It's gone up a bit in the last week. US$0.73 this morning. I'm wondering when d-d-photographics will be updating their prices (I'm guessing after their next shipment)?

  8. It's gone up a bit in the last week. US$0.73 this morning. I'm wondering when d-d-photographics will be updating their prices (I'm guessing after their next shipment)?

     

     

    Hi Ryan,

     

    I'm guessing that DDPhotographics won't be getting any new shipments for a while because the stock on the shelf won't move while it is so expensive.

    Big camera wholesalers don't give a shit about Aust dealers and never offer any return or discount incentive because of the dollar fluctuation.

    My sister owns a fairly large camera franchise and Nikon, Canon etc., give'em zip!

    You could be waiting for a while to update???

     

    Bruce...

  9. Hi,

     

    The Nikon 60mm AF-D macro is a great choice if you want to save some money. You can easily find this second hand very cheap. It's an excellent lens and has been used on endless price winning shots (both land and uw).

    If you get the port for the 105mm (which works for the 60mm as well), you can fit an optional Kenko Pro 1.4x teleconverter later on to get more than 1:1 and to get more tele.

     

    If you want the best 60mm macro, go for Nikon 60mm AF-S. More expensive, faster AF engine (not fast AF in general though), but doesn't support teleconverters as smoothly.

     

    The 105mm VR is also good. Much more expensive, harder to use and less versatile, so few recommend it as a started lens.

     

    For wide angle the Tokina 10-17 FE is the king. I have used it with a single DS-51 and that is usable. There are shots that you want be able to lighten perfectly with a single 51/50 DS, but if you are good at aiming the strobe you will be able to get many great WA. In time, you should of course either get another DS-50/51 or one or two stronger and wider strobes. I use one DS-51 and one DS-125 together and it's surprisingly good even in low viz conditions. Of course you have to use the diffusors.

     

    The new Nikon 10-24 looks interesting too. The Nikon 12-24 or Tokina 12-24 is seldom a good choice though.

     

    /Peter

  10. hi,

     

    i am new for dslr cameras.

    i am planning to buy d90 as well.

    and my question is : is it possible to use tokina 10-17 and 60mm macro with the same port?

    sorry if my question is stupid :)

    thanks

    Cem

  11. I'm also looking at the D90. Have you made your purchase yet? I'd be very interested in what lenses you went with and if you're happy with them. I currently have an Oly C-4000 point and shoot with a Light & Motion housing and a Sea & Sea YS90-DX strobe. I'm planning on keeping the strobe for use with the D90. Have you been happy with your Ikelite housing?

     

    No problems at all with the Ikelite housing. Easy to maintain and excellent acessto all camera functions.

  12. Hi,

     

    The Nikon 60mm AF-D macro is a great choice if you want to save some money. You can easily find this second hand very cheap. It's an excellent lens and has been used on endless price winning shots (both land and uw).

    If you get the port for the 105mm (which works for the 60mm as well), you can fit an optional Kenko Pro 1.4x teleconverter later on to get more than 1:1 and to get more tele.

     

    If you want the best 60mm macro, go for Nikon 60mm AF-S. More expensive, faster AF engine (not fast AF in general though), but doesn't support teleconverters as smoothly.

     

    The 105mm VR is also good. Much more expensive, harder to use and less versatile, so few recommend it as a started lens.

     

    For wide angle the Tokina 10-17 FE is the king. I have used it with a single DS-51 and that is usable. There are shots that you want be able to lighten perfectly with a single 51/50 DS, but if you are good at aiming the strobe you will be able to get many great WA. In time, you should of course either get another DS-50/51 or one or two stronger and wider strobes. I use one DS-51 and one DS-125 together and it's surprisingly good even in low viz conditions. Of course you have to use the diffusors.

     

    The new Nikon 10-24 looks interesting too. The Nikon 12-24 or Tokina 12-24 is seldom a good choice though.

     

    /Peter

     

    Thanks Peter,

    I've heard a lot of good reviews about the Tokina 10-17, and have placed it on my wish list.

    I'm very happy with the DS51, and in time hope to pair it with the DS125 as you mentioned.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.