Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

My wife saved a hammerhead pup on beach today

Started by diverhead.com ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

My wife saved a hammerhead pup on beach today

11 posts
  1. Well, about a few hours ago, my wife was drawn to the beach by a kid poking a baby hammerhead shark with his boogie board. I believe the shark must have been hunting a school of small fish in the sandy beach area by driving the school toward the beach. A large wave must have broke and the shark was "stuck" on the sand. My wife picked the 1 and 1/2 foot shark up with two hands (one right behind the gills and one at the tail) and waded into the water to bring the little guy back to where he belongs. After quite a bit of wiggling in my wife's hands, the pup swam away. YAY!!! Strike one up for my wife doing her part to help our depleting shark populations! :D Of course, I missed the entire thing because I was sitting inside with my laptop like the nerd I am! :freak:

  2. That could have been a very lucrative photo for you too - Less nerd, more pictures :D

  3. Good for you guys! Well done.

     

    pics should have been had.

  4. Yeah, well my wife used the event as a "lesson"for me to get out more. So from now on I'll be outside on my laptop. hehehe :D It was cute though because I guess my 7 year old son walked up to the kid that was poking the shark and said, "You can't do that! The shark needs to go back to the sea where it came from." I'm glad he already sees 'the way'.

  5. That could have been a very lucrative photo for you too - Less nerd, more pictures :D

    glad the baby hammerhead was rescued! and your son rules. 7 years old! i don't think i talked to strangers then. even other kids.

     

    re: the photo thing -- if something bad/funny/strange happens around me, my first urge is to snap a photo of it. this is true of my even if someone gets hurt.

     

    but many of my friends have told me that they would probably wanted a photo afterwards, even if they might be upset at my actions during the actual incident. :)

  6. re: the photo thing --  if something bad/funny/strange happens around me, my first urge is to snap a photo of it.  this is true of my even if someone gets hurt.

     

    but many of my friends have told me that they would probably wanted a photo afterwards, even if they might be upset at my actions during the actual incident. :D

    You wouldn't happen to be arranging these little incidents too Eric?

  7. Eric, should I ever need CPR, forget the camera, OK?

     

    Good call on the hammerhead. I have caught lots of baby hammerheads while fishing in Kaneohe Bay. It's inevitable. They make for some cute pictures. Perhaps an above/under would be really neat...

  8. Eric, should I ever need CPR, forget the camera, OK?

     

    Good call on the hammerhead. I have caught lots of baby hammerheads while fishing in Kaneohe Bay. It's inevitable. They make for some cute pictures. Perhaps an above/under would be really neat...

  9. Sorry bout the additional post. I got an error about the mail function or something and reposted after waiting for flood control to recede...

  10. glad the baby hammerhead was rescued!  and your son rules.  7 years old!

    Me too! Although it would have been cool to get a picture of the whole scenario, I'm glad my wife made the right call and helped the shark out instead of getting me to document it's grief! And thanks for the compliment for my son! Took him snorkeling for the first few times last week and he's better at fish itentification than I am!

     

    P.S. I've been getting mail errors upon submitting new posts and replies too.

    P.S. I've been getting mail errors upon submitting new posts and replies too.

    P.S. I've been getting mail errors upon submitting new posts and replies too.

    P.S. I've been getting mail errors upon submitting new posts and replies too.

    ...

    :unsure:

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.