Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Reduce noise in Redfiltered RAW

Started by Maarten_NL ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Reduce noise in Redfiltered RAW

3 posts
  1. Last week I went diving in Egypt with a redfilter attached to my G9, this was my first time shooting with redfilter but after some dives experimenting a bit with ISO/shutterspeed priority I got some good results. But I noticed that there was a lot of noise in the RAW images. So I stepped down from ISO 400 to ISO 200 or even 100 on sunny days. But the noise remained. :)

     

    How can I reduce the grain and produce cleaner images? I tried to reduce noise in Lightroom 2 but that only produced a lot of fuzzyness overall, sharpning after that gave me even more noise.

     

    This is an example pic, from the original RAW and not modified in LR (cropped to reduce tiff size)

     

    link, warning 6mb!

     

    Depth 15m

    ISO 200

    1/40

    f3.2

     

     

    thanks!

  2. Last week I went diving in Egypt with a redfilter attached to my G9, this was my first time shooting with redfilter but after some dives experimenting a bit with ISO/shutterspeed priority I got some good results. But I noticed that there was a lot of noise in the RAW images. So I stepped down from ISO 400 to ISO 200 or even 100 on sunny days. But the noise remained. :)

     

    How can I reduce the grain and produce cleaner images? I tried to reduce noise in Lightroom 2 but that only produced a lot of fuzzyness overall, sharpning after that gave me even more noise.

     

    This is an example pic, from the original RAW and not modified in LR (cropped to reduce tiff size)

     

    link, warning 6mb!

     

    Depth 15m

    ISO 200

    1/40

    f3.2

     

     

    thanks!

    As a (former) G9 owner, that looks about what I would expect "noise-wise" from ISO 200 on the G9.

     

    I tried as hard as I could to shoot everything at ISO 80 and really, really, really tried to avoid going over ISO 125 due to noise.

  3. As a (former) G9 owner, that looks about what I would expect "noise-wise" from ISO 200 on the G9.

     

    I tried as hard as I could to shoot everything at ISO 80 and really, really, really tried to avoid going over ISO 125 due to noise.

     

    mmh... underwaterhousing for my 50D seems to be the best solution then :)

     

    I'm trying Neatimage to polish it up a bit, at first glance it seems to produce nice results.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.