For all you Fuji S2 and Nikon D100 owners it is time to open you check books and look at your credit card balance.
This lens is something else. How sweet.
Now where the hell is that Whale Shark to try it out on. Oh wait, I need a port for it (and possibly a new housing)
M
Hello,
This is killing me...
I know a lot of S2/Ikelite users are waiting to see if the zoom function will work in the Ikelite housing. If it doesn't work, I have been considering selling my Ikelite housing and ports cheap and putting it towards the Aquatica housing.
The main reason is that I am going on a special Galapagos Aggressor charter to Wolf and Darwin with Jonathan Bird in October specifically see whale sharks and the schooling hammerheads. I know there is never guarrantees, but they had 25 encounters with "Mr Big" in four days last year. The 12-24mm would be perfect to switch in between Whale Shark and Hammerhead shots (too confident?). I am very happy with the Ike housing other than the possibility of the 12-24 lens not working. It wouldn't seem that hard to extend the length of the gear sleeve to reach the zoom ring (or possibly extend one sleeve by combining two with some sort of epoxy). Any thoughts on this? Ike?
My toy buying is out of control lately (looking at drysuits and laptops) and I had decided to make due with the 14mm and 18-35mm...until the above post sparked my thinking again.
John
I sent my 12-24DX lens in to Ikelite so that they can rig up a zoom gear for it. Based on my experiments w/ the lens and Ike housing, I am confident (it fits in the port) that they will be able to get this wonderful lens working in their housing.
Sincerely,
James Wiseman
James,
That's fantastic!!! Did they give you any time frame? I'll try contacting them to find out more.
Thanks,
John
Hey John, what a coincidence. I'm heading that way in September. Hope to have the lens with me.
Fellas and Ladies,
I am happy with/resigned to using the Sigma 14mm w/a (F2.8) for w/a, u/w and the 60 mm micro, for macro / fish portraits, etc, is there any reason why I should return my Sigma 17-35 (which won't fit in my Ikelite housing but works great topside) and buy the 12-24???? Sorry for the run on question... I can still return the 17-35 to Ritz for a refund (until tomorrow) any feedback is appreciated
Peter
I am happy with/resigned to using the Sigma 14mm w/a (F2.8) for w/a, u/w and the 60 mm micro, for macro / fish portraits, etc, is there any reason why I should return my Sigma 17-35 (which won't fit in my Ikelite housing but works great topside) and buy the 12-24???? Sorry for the run on question... I can still return the 17-35 to Ritz for a refund (until tomorrow)
I would return the Sigma in about 10 seconds. The 12-24mm is a much better (and wider) lens and one you will be able to use underwater in most housings. I have only clicked the shutter for a couple of test shots and I am in love with it.