Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

sorry Nikon.. it's Canon by presidential appointment

Started by photovan ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

sorry Nikon.. it's Canon by presidential appointment

12 posts
  1. So who'd be the first-ever US President to be officially portraitised (my new word) by means of a digital camera?

     

    That'd be your new one, shot on a 5dmkii, by newly appointed White House photographer Pete Souza.

     

    The EXIF data doesn't show what lens it was shot with... maybe it was a nikkor :)

  2. So who'd be the first-ever US President to be officially portraitised (my new word) by means of a digital camera?

     

    That'd be your new one, shot on a 5dmkii, by newly appointed White House photographer Pete Souza.

     

    The EXIF data doesn't show what lens it was shot with... maybe it was a nikkor :)

    Good thing they don't have to blow it up too big, otherwise they'd need 24MP. :)

    Pete Souza is pretty cool, I love his work.

  3. Guess that would explain the noise... :)

  4. Good thing they don't have to blow it up too big, otherwise they'd need 24MP. :)

    Pete Souza is pretty cool, I love his work.

     

    Yeh, I guess he was thinking "given I'll be seein' some pretty amazin' stuff over the next few years, do I want an extra 2MP, or do I want to be able shoot Full HD video as well"

    ... tough question.... I guess...

  5. Guess that would explain the noise... :)

     

    Another d200 shooter commenting about noise.... ha

  6. Yeh, I guess he was thinking "given I'll be seein' some pretty amazin' stuff over the next few years, do I want an extra 2MP, or do I want to be able shoot Full HD video as well"

    ... tough question.... I guess...

    3.4 MP to be exact. :)

  7. 3.4 MP to be exact. :)

     

    Or you could get 2 x 5d's and have 42.2MP for the same money as the already-complained-about-too-much-price of the d3x ....

  8. Or you could get 2 x 5d's and have 42.2MP for the same money as the already-complained-about-too-much-price of the d3x ....

    You guys in OZ can't do arithmetic, it's closer to 3 5d's; and he could stack them one on top of the other.

    Actually I think he'll need 3 for our new superstar.

    You win Darren, I'm thinking of switching..... but then again I'm not a Democrat I'm a Libertarian. Shucks, they're probably still shooting film.

  9. You guys in OZ can't do arithmetic, it's closer to 3 5d's; and he could stack them one on top of the other.

    Actually I think he'll need 3 for our new superstar.

    You win Darren, I'm thinking of switching..... but then again I'm not a Democrat I'm a Libertarian. Shucks, they're probably still shooting film.

     

    3 x5 d's... hmmm nice.... set em up on a rig around a nodal point, a you-beaut release so they all shoot at once... might make those stitched panos of the ocean rather nice, no more double-takes on the waves, and my stitched aerials might be a little easier too.

  10. A bigger consideration is that White House photogs travel light and somewhat inconspicuous. So a 5DMKII with prime lenses makes sense. Traditionally they shoot Leica range finders and Pete has said he may add a couple of Leicas as well. He was the perfect choice for Obama and I can't wait to see some of his images.

  11. A bigger consideration is that White House photogs travel light and somewhat inconspicuous. So a 5DMKII with prime lenses makes sense. Traditionally they shoot Leica range finders and Pete has said he may add a couple of Leicas as well. He was the perfect choice for Obama and I can't wait to see some of his images.

    I think it will be very interesting to see the style changes of White House Photography. I recently went to Chris Usher's exhibit (the last White House Photographer), as you say, done predominantly with Leicas

    http://www.smponline.org/btvr.html

  12. It appears that due to the current recession that we are faced with, the White House couldn't afford a decent camera! LMAO

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.