Hello all,
I used to shoot with a Minolta Dynax 8000i housed in a Hugyfot Jetmarin, mostly with the 100 mm 2.8 Macro, but this combination "passed away" during my last diving trip 2 years ago.
I also still own a Nikonos V with Nikonos 15 and 28 mm lenses and viewfinders which I intend to continue using for a few more years, or at least until I learn that something better has become available. With "better" I mean with regards to image quality shooting wide angle / landscape under water. As far as I am aware there is still nothing that comes close (but please tell me if you think different, I'm eager to learn, didn't spend ages to search the internet recently).
Usually I went into the water with both cameras mounted on top of each other. See a picture of this setup in my album.
I now want to buy a new camera for under water macro photography.
Because of the weight (air transportation can get quite expensive) and the bulk of the big SLR housing and flash (specifically when I encountered strong currents on my dives) I first thought with the great point and shoots available now I will buy one of these and save most of the weight I used to have with the big housed SLR.
Also because from trying out the one or other of the better models of this category (of course only on land, not under water) I knew many have great macro capabilities. Some of these cameras, such as the Canon G10, can shoot an area as small as 31 x 23 mm with a resolution of 14.6 MP, or 142 pixels per millimeter.
However when I had a closer look to evaluate this camera's suitability for UW photography I was disappointed when I learned that the great macro resolution is only available at the wide end of the zoom, and at a distance of only 1 cm from the lens.
This is not usable under water.
And as strange as it sounds when you first read about it, at the long end of the zoom range - where you would normally expect to zoom closer to your object - the minimum area covered is 89 x 67 mm, or only 50 pixels per mm.
Even with my old setup, where I used to scan the 35 mm slides with a Nikon LS-2000 slide scanner (with 2700 dpi resolution), I had a much better effective resolution of 106 px/mm.
The best combination available today, with regard to the maximum resolution achievable, should be Canon's EOS 50D. With a 1:1 macro it should go up to 213 px/mm.
Do I really have to buy a (D)SLR to get the high macro resolution that I want?
Is anyone aware of a good quality P&S which has the highest macro resolution at the long end of the zoom range?
What would you recommend? What else should be considered?


