I am looking for a better battery for my Nikon Coolpix 995 (in an Aquatica housing). I have used the Nikon battery (EN-EL1) in the past and have had some low battery issues on the second dive. My next couple of dive trips will require a battery to last 2 long dives.
Has anyone tried the third party batteries for the coolpix line. Like the Poweron 2000? It claims to last longer.
I'll also gladly take any hints on managing this limited resource on a dive.
I have the same set up as you and have noticed the same problem with shallow diving. I find that a battery lasts about 2 hrs on continuous auto focus. If I am diving shallow where I think I might run low I just switch batteries between dives. I really don't find it to be much of a problem because I have a second battery. Only if you are doing more than 2 dives and have no access to a charger would I find this to be a problem.
You could also set your camera to turn off more frequently when not in use. There are 1 and 5 min settings. I don't like to do this though cause it takes too long to start up. I'm afraid I will miss a great opportunity.
Sandy
Maybe we can convince Blake (Aquatica) to utilize the extra strobe port to be used for a power lead to attach an external battery pack. After all it could be sold as an option and be used for CP995 and CP5000 housings. As for external power we could get him to build a small housing to put a MAHA Power Bank or similar. Anyone interested in starting a petition to Blake? I will start a new thread to test the waters.
I've found the easiest way to deal with this issue is to have three batteries. One on charger, one in camera and one available (and charged) if needed between dives. Once I purchased more life got a whole lot easier and less frustrating.