Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

PETA's "Sea Kittens" campaign

Started by Ken Kurtis ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

PETA's "Sea Kittens" campaign

12 posts
  1. I am furious and am asking you to join me in my outrage.

     

    Let me start you off with what got me going (and yes, it's apparently legit): http://www.peta.org/sea_kittens/index.asp

     

    This morning in the Los Angeles Times, in the "Candorville" cartoon, there was this: http://candorville.com/2009/01/27/c/ . I didn't understand the connection until I was made aware of the PETA campaign by a post on one of the diving chat boards. At first I thought I was on a spoof PETA website or that it was a joke or that someone must have hacked into the PETA website because I couldn't believe someone at an organization like PETA could seriously concoct something so stupid and insulting.

     

    This has nothing to do with what "side" of the conservation issue you come down on. But for those of us who regularly work in the marine conservation field, it absolutely trivializes what we try to accomplish. As many of you know, I've been directly involved in the MLPA process for the past four years or so. I talk with fisherman, divers, conservationists, consumptives, non-consumptives, and others. All of these people, whether I agree with their position or not, have a strong love for the ocean and don't just come to their positions willy-nilly. Nor do they resort to gimmicks and stunts.

     

    On top of that PETA's "solution" may create other problems. One of the first things you learn when you wade into marine conservation is that nothing's black-and-white and a change here results in something happening over there. There's a lot of cause-and-effect so there are no "simple" solutions.

     

    If PETA wants to suggest that people eat vegetables instead of fish, it does nothing to address the issues of the damage that agricultural runoff causes to marine ecosystems. ("Save the sea kittens by eating more vegetables but ignore that you'll be killing the sea kittens you save with polluted runoff.") On top of that, PETA's solution does nothing to address areas like the Maldives, which rely on subsistence fishing for many villages and where growing vegetables is simply not an option because the land won't support it.

     

    Anyhow, I'm pissed and insulted. I have written a letter (copied below my signature) to PETA and would encourage you - if you agree with what I've said - to do something similar. I would love a public outcry to force PETA (1) to withdraw the campaign, (2) apologize for it's insulting tone and approach, and (3) fire those responsible for it's inception. If you'd like to write them (I don't have a direct e-mail address), PETA can be reached through this link and filling in the comment form: http://www.peta.org/about/c-email_peta.asp .

     

    I don't normally get visceral reactions to a lot of things but this one just hit me wrong. I cannot in all good conscience stand idly by without trying to open PETA's eyes. I hope you'll join me in the effort.

     

    - Ken

    —————————————————

    Ken Kurtis

    Owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.

    P.O. Box 11634

    Beverly Hills, CA 90213

    (310) 652-4990

    www.reefseekers.com

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     

    Dear PETA,

     

    You have GOT to be kidding.

     

    I don't always agree with PETA but I think the organization at least has some respect and gravitas for the work you do. However, this "Sea Kitten" campaign will make you a laughingstock.

     

    You should know that I am a non-consumptive scuba diver. (I also happen to work in the media.) I work very hard on numerous conservation causes including implementation of the MLPA here in California. I'm rather insulted by the tone of your campaign.

     

    You mention - tongue-in-cheek - how fish ought to fire their PR person. Well, maybe you should take you own advice and fire the idiot who thought up this campaign as well as anyone involved in pushing it forward.

     

    There are REAL issues that we who believe in marine conservation grapple with every day. For you to trivialize the struggle with the invention of something as insipid as "Sea Kittens" is simply beyond belief.

     

    It's also misrepresentation. Your characterization shows a complete lack of appreciation or understanding for the creatures of the ocean for whom you profess to share a concern.

     

    To those of us who dive, fish aren't the slimy, face-biting creatures you make them out to be. They are beautiful animals who exist in what is to us an alien environment and the fact that they are frequently as curious as us as we are about them only adds to the allure of diving.

     

    There are real problems to solve in the ocean. There are real threats these animals face from humans and from the changing ocean environment. For you cutesy it up doesn't so anyone any good.

     

    You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

     

    I truly hope you'll rethink this juvenile and moronic campaign. If you really want to help the animals, figure out a message that has a ring of truth to it. Gimmicks won't cut it with those of you who truly care.

     

    - Ken

    -----------------

    Ken Kurtis

    NAUI Scuba Instructor

    Owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.

    Beverly Hills, CA

  2. Couldn't agree more, Ken. In their over-the-top efforts to get people to respect animals by never ever killing them, they end up making it crystal clear that their respect for animals depends on anthropomorphism, exaggeration, junk science, delusions, denials of reality, and campaigns such as this Sea Kittens nonsense that go beyond the parodies in The Onion.

     

    Are they just a bunch of morons, or are they actually savvy-but-cynical professionals who have learned that anthropomorphism is the best way to get people to care? Who knows. I just know they jumped the shark a few years ago when they had young women use nudity as a way of getting people to listen: http://www.peta.org/feat/stateoftheunion/f...eoftheunion.asp <NOT SAFE FOR WORK>

  3. PETA actually sent me a reply to my initial rant within about two hours of my e-mailing them. At first I thought this was an actual reply but I came to learn later it's a form letter.

    However, the fact that this letter even exists indicates they must be catching a lot of flack becausre they have a need to have a canned response. So - once again - I urge you to write them if you agree that the whole "Sea Kittens" thing is insipid.

     

    Anyhow, for those interested, here's my rant #2:

     

    Dear PETA staff,

     

    Thanks for your anonymous response to my note. (Well, seriously, thanks for a prompt response.) But at least I put my name on what I write. It would be nice to know who's speaking for PETA.

     

    < Thank you for contacting PETA about our lighthearted campaign to get people to think of fish as “sea kittens.” >

     

    You're way over the line on this one. I'm beginning to think PETA stands for "People for the Eradication of Thoughtful Analysis".

     

    < The goal of this campaign is to help people of all ages recognize that fish are living beings capable of feeling pain and distress—just as kittens are—and that it is no more acceptable to inflict pain and suffering on fish than it is to hurt a kitten or any other animal. >

     

    Why can't you just love an animal for being that animal? I happen to really like fish - and not to eat. I swim with them all the time. I don't eat fish mainly because I just never developed a taste for it, and only partly because I might feel like I was eating my pets. (But just for the record, I am a carnivore.) Fish are cute, adorable, interesting, and definitely deserve consideration. Here's a whole page of cute fish: http://www.reefseekers.com/PIXPAGES/Indone...p;%20Lembeh.htm .

     

    But they don't need to be made into kittens. And certainly not when you think of what a kitten (or cat's) favorite food is likely to be: FISH!!!

     

    < PETA’s purpose is to stop animal suffering, and we use all available opportunities to reach millions of people with powerful messages. >

     

    Really? Let's stay with the fish theme here. One of the most brutal things humans do to fish is done to sharks. It's known as shark finning. Are you aware of what that is? That's when a shark is caught, hauled on to the deck of a boat, and - while the shark is alive - it's fins are sliced off and saved to be made into soup. The still-living shark is then tossed overboard, left to drown now that it lacks the ability to swim.

     

    I would contend that this is a hell of a lot more brutal and a more traumatic death for the animal than anything you're talking about. Yet, when I just did a search on the PETA website, I can't find that you have taken any stance on this atrocity being committed daily against these top predators. How can you be so hypocritical? How can you decry fish consumption - no matter how lighthearted you claim it to be - and yet ignore this very real problem worldwide, that's contributed to a 90% eradication in shark species by some estimates. There are a couple of mention in your blogs but where's the official outrage from PETA?

     

    < Part of our job is to grab people’s attention and initiate discussion, debate, questioning of the status quo, and, of course, action. >

     

    Trust me when I tell you I'll be doing everything in my power to help you get that attention. It just may not be the type of attention you seek.

     

    < The situation is critical for billions of animals, and our goal is to make the public think about the issues. >

     

    Then address the issues. Let's continue just with the sharks.

     

    Anytime you support the wholesale slaughter of apex predators (and I'm sure you'd agree - using your own rhetorical standards - that by your silence, your inaction supports this barbaric practice) you upset the entire balance of the ecosystem. Species that were held in check by the sharks are now able to survive in greater numbers and the balance shifts considerably.

     

    But as long as you can get people to eat their vegetables, I guess you can turn a blind eye to this critical issue.

     

    < We cannot dismiss the fact that it’s wrong to hurt fish simply because we perceive them to be less intelligent than humans. >

     

    Who ever said that fish are less intelligent than humans? I read a LOT of stuff about fish and I've never seen that anywhere. Can you quote me a source? I believe your prejudice is showing. I've run into some very clever fish over the years. In fact, one of the things I do every week is serve as a volunteer at the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific and I describe my job there as to be constantly outwitted by the fish. It's very humbling, actually. Fish are a lot smarter than you're giving them credit for. That's wrong on your part.

     

    In fact, there's a whole school of thought that it's the DUMB ones that get caught and the smart ones are left to breed. That makes the species smarter over time. Darwinism in its finest and simplest form.

     

    < Superior intelligence does not entitle humans to abuse other humans . . . >

     

    Humans do some pretty stupid things ("Sea Kittens" not even being my prime example) so I wouldn't exactly hang my hat on that "superior intelligence" theme.

     

    < . . . so why should it entitle humans to abuse beings other than humans?>

     

    Besides, you at PETA do seem to feel entitled to abuse humans when - as I pointed out previously - your position absolutely denigrates the work of those of us who take marine conservation seriously and realize it involves more than just saying "Don't eat fish." You feel it's wrong to put a hook through the mouth of a fish yet you feel it's absolutely fine to drive a stake through the heart of those of us who love the ocean and fight to protect it on a daily basis. Shame on you.

     

    < No one would consider doing to other animals what some so casually do to fish—trick them into impaling themselves in the mouth . . .>

     

    But tricking CHILDREN into thinking of fish as kittens . . . that's OK????? What is wrong with you? Where is your sense of ethics? Don't you know it's harder to un-teach something than it is to teach it? If you feel so strongly about this (1) DON'T target children with your propaganda and (2) Teach them right the first time. Then you don't have to have the fish-aren't-really-kittens speech down the road.

     

    < . . . and pull them into an environment where they can’t breathe.>

     

    Uh, I hate to break this to you, but fish don't breathe. They extract oxygen from the water by passing it over their gills. A fish out of water can survive a heck of a lot longer than a human underwater. If you're not clear about this "breathing" thing, you might check out this website: http://www.geocities.com/aquarium_fish/how_fish_breathe.htm . (I have this "thing" about trying to be factual and accurate. You should give it a try sometime.)

     

    < But whether they are bass or basset hounds, catfish or cats, all animals treasure their lives and feel pain. >

     

    But it's OK to rip living vegetables out of the ground and eat them. Hmmm . . . interesting double-standard. And before you argue that vegetables don't feel pain since they lack brains or nerves, I'll point out that a jellyfish lacks a brain and centralized nervous system. It can't feel pain, certainly not in any way that we can fathom. So is it then OK to eat jellyfish the same way it might be OK to eat vegetables?

     

    Of course this ignores totally the thought that not everyone agrees with PETA about fish feeling pain. Dr. James Rose of the University of Wyoming comes to mind. And it brings up another interesting question.

     

    Do you allow your real kittens (the feline kind, not the fake kind) to catch mice? Do you think the mouse feels pain when they are toyed with and then eaten by a cat? Is this fair to the mouse? Is PETA taking any steps to stop THIS barbaric practice???? Because if you're going to use the "feels pain" thing as a standard for behavior, shouldn't the behavior we expect of ourselves extend to our animals as well?

     

    < We also want people to know that eating fish flesh can be hazardous to their health. Fish can accumulate extremely high levels of chemical residues—as much as 9 million times higher than the levels of the water in which they live. Fish flesh may store contaminants such as PCBs, >

     

    And where exactly do you think a lot of this unhealthy stuff comes from? It comes from runoff produced by . . . the agriculture industry. The very same folks who are producing the vegetables that you claim to be the savior of the fish if only more people would eat veggies instead of fish, could be the very thing that's helping to poison the fish.

     

    How interesting when I once again search the PETA website, I can find no call from you to eliminate dangerous vegetable-growing practices that can be harming marine ecosystems through the runoffs they produce that contain chemicals used in agri-business.

     

    Like I said earlier, it's not as simple as "Don't eat fish."

     

    < Unfortunately, getting the message to the public is not always easy and straightforward. >

     

    Actually, it is. People may not be as dumb as you think. What you may perceive as not hearing your message, may simply be people not agreeing with your message. It's like when someone asks, "Does God answers all prayers?" The correct response is, "Yes, but sometimes the answer is No."

     

    < We often use stunts and controversial ad campaigns to get the word out about animal abuse, because sadly, the media usually do not consider the facts alone “interesting” enough to cover. >

     

    Don't blame the media. That's a copout for those who fail to cogently frame their argument and present their case. Read Ken Weiss' Pulitzer Prize-winning "Altered Oceans" series and then tell me that facts aren't "interesting". Blaming the media is the last refuge of those who seek a copout for the failure of their message.

     

    I've got no problem with stunts and PR gimmicks. I have problems with lies, telling half-truths, and the like. I have a problem with you ignoring the larger problem and only focusing on part of it. By that I mean if everyone stopped eating fish worldwide right now, the health of our oceans would not improve. Marine conservation is not some one-trick-pony as you would have people believe. If you really want to do something for the fish, attack the entire problem. You do a disservice to marine conservation by giving the impression that if we stop eating fish, everything will be all right. It will not.

     

    < Our efforts and campaigns have been very successful in educating the public about the abuses that animals endure every day . . .>

     

    If you're correct, then why do these abuses still occur?

     

    < . . . and your message is proof that people are reading and talking about PETA and animal rights. >

     

    Well, sort of. What people are saying is "What a bunch of morons" and they're not listening to your message. I can't tell you how many people wrote me to say when they first heard of the "Sea Kitten" campaign that they thought it was a Saturday Night Live skit or something from The Onion. Maybe you're just too clever for your own good.

     

    < Thanks again for writing and for sharing your thoughts with us. >

     

    You probably haven't heard the last of me yet. If you truly want to help improve the marine environment, let's talk about how that can be done and how PETA can be their resources to use to improve the health of the oceans, bearing in mind that water covers 75% of this planet and that when the oceans are healthy, the Earth is healthy.

     

    But if all you want to do is posture and obfuscate, I've got an issue with that. Trying to convince the public (and let's face it- you've admitted you're really targeting impressionable children) with this Sea Kitten charade is somewhat akin to the attempt by the Reagan administration in the early 80s to reclassify ketchup as a vegetable to skirt around nutrition issues.

     

    Ketchup's not a vegetable. Fish aren't kittens. Stop this campaign of misinformation.

     

    - Ken

  4. I agree. This campaign does nothing but to put fuel on the fire for those who already ridicule PETA.

     

    There would indeed be many other real concerns to bring to light. And there could be be many smart, funny, thought provoking, catchy, attention grabbing ways to do this.

     

    I agree - the plight of the sharks is an important one. But there are many other equally important issues that get a lot less or NO attention, because they do not involve charismatic megafauna. When was the last time there was a major outcry in the media about the groupers having been outfished in most Caribbean waters? Hmmm...

    Edited by Marjo
  5. Though I am sympathetic to some of PETA's causes, I think they are a bunch of boneheads that are hard to take seriously and who alienate many people who would otherwise be sympathetic. This campaign is a good example. Ken, I think you are taking them much too seriously, and you're not likely to get a levelheaded response from them.

  6. DeeperBlue.com had a lot to say about this campaign too. Things like this give conservationists a bad name and REALLY don't help.

  7. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. I still can't believe it's real. Who in their right minds would think up such a campaign, and who would approve it thinking that it would actually work? It completely trivializes fish and the ocean in general. They made it into a freaking cartoon! I can't believe it...

     

    But thank you, Ken, for speaking up against it in a very clear, informative, and level-headed way. Hopefully this ridiculous campaign will be withdrawn soon.

     

    shaking my head in disbelief,

    Loren

  8. The last time I played with a kitten, I drew back a bloodied and lacerated hand. If our ocean friends played as rough, none of us would come back alive! (I like cats)

    Certainly PETA has never been accused of allowing science to interfere with their message. Well meaning, but ultimately disinterested in divergent opinions.

    With that said, they do seem to generate a great deal of press.

  9. Well, as stupid as the Sea Kittens campaign is, PETA's latest PR maneuver is arguably the worst they could possibly come up with:

    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29104505

  10. This kitten program is for children, wouldn't you say?

     

    Peta's approach is very unfortunate, but is part of the way modern human society views nature. Don't forget Free Willy, and finding Nemo, which were also taken seriously by some adults. It seems that people cut off from nature believe that wild animals are animated stuffed animals or three dimensional cartoons. This attitude has not been helped by modern science which treats them as machines.

     

    Ranting about Peta is not going to help. You should write them a serious letter about how they are harming the cause, and reason with them.

     

    Also, it doesn't take a three digit IQ to realize that expecting any wild ecosystem to support modern human life, from shark fin soup to the expensive sea food restaurants of the big cities, and all of their aquariums, is absurd. The traditional fishers would still be able to get their protein if large scale fishing and mid scale fishing was terminated. As you probably know, most of those fish go to the industrial nations where people are already eating too much protein, or, yes, to the super predators of the seas, your cats, who consume more than their share of these wild animals.

     

    No one would expect terrestrial wild animals to supply everyone with meat, which is why we have cows, so why expect it of the wild animals in the sea?

     

    With good wishes,

    Ila

    shark ethologist

    ps fish are to be loved and not eaten.

  11. here is a quote I received in a reply from PETA today

     

    Does PETA target children as young as 6 coming out of schools?(my question to them)

     

    We at PETA fully agree that parents need to be concerned about the kinds of messages—and foods—that their kids are exposed to. Many of us are parents ourselves, and it is with children’s best interests at heart that we show them the ugly side of meat-eating.

     

    PETA are an animal liberationalist group. Meaning that want to free all animals whether it is the best interest of the animal itself. As opposed to animal welfare groups who do what is best for the animal. Two PETA members dodged a charge about stealing or killing 2 dogs because PETA's lawyer argued that "pets have no value" so no crime was committed.??? I wonder if fur is murder then is cotton genocide? Do all PETA members go naked? Do PETA members drive cars or build houses that destroy ecosystems????

  12. To quote their president Ingrid Newkirk, "Even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we'd be against it.". Kind of gives you an idea of the kind of people we're talking about here. Their thinking is anything but logical or scientific, reasoning with them is useless.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.