Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

One more from Wakatobi...

Started by Snaphappy ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

One more from Wakatobi...

12 posts
  1. Can anyone tell me what kind of shell and what kind of animal this is? Thanks in advance. Robyn

     

     

    animal_in_shell.jpg

    Edited by Snaphappy
  2. It is a snail eating a starfish..... :lol::);)

     

    I don't have any ID books for stars or snails, so if you are looking for species, someone else will have to chime in, but the starfish may be a Linkia sp and the snail is what I would call a Trumpet.

    Edited by acroporas
  3. Don't you just love it when you get back and realize you captured a really cool act of animal behavior. :lol:

  4. Don't you just love it when you get back and realize you captured a really cool act of animal behavior. :)

     

    That's fer sure! Silly me...I thought that was some type of exotic animal living in that shell. :lol:

     

     

    Thanks for the heads up acroporas. If anyone knows what type of preditor that is,,please clue me in. Thanks, Robyn

    Edited by Snaphappy
  5. Looks like a Triton's Trumpet (Charonia tritonis) feeding on a starfish. They also eat crown-of-thorns, but are collected for their shells regrettably giving an advantage to the crown-of-thorns.

  6. so the legs belong to the starfish and the snail is invisible inside the shell? Cool capture Robyn.

  7. funny one Robyn, yes it is a Triton's Trumpet shell, they are also found where you live and in Coz... here's one from coz.

    Your snail and the Snaphappy's snail are NOT the same species of snail. They may go by the same common name, but they are NOT the same species.

    Edited by acroporas
  8. Your snail and the Snaphappy's snail are NOT the same species of snail. They may go by the same common name, but they are NOT the same species.

     

    thanks, I thought since that went by the same name they were related. now I know

  9. Your snail and the Snaphappy's snail are NOT the same species of snail. They may go by the same common name, but they are NOT the same species.

     

    Hey William, now I'm curious, since you say they are not the same species, are they related? Like a grouper in the atlantic is to the pacific. The pattern seems to be the same on a cleaned up shell, just more of a scalloped edge. Thanks, things I need to learn

  10. Hey William, now I'm curious, since you say they are not the same species, are they related? Like a grouper in the atlantic is to the pacific. The pattern seems to be the same on a cleaned up shell, just more of a scalloped edge. Thanks, things I need to learn

     

     

    Thanks for posting this question Scott. I was sort of curious too. Robyn

  11. are they related? Like a grouper in the atlantic is to the pacific.

     

    Yes exactly like two species of grouper. The are in the same genus, but are different species.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.