Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Unexpected bonus check, how to spend?

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Unexpected bonus check, how to spend?

7 posts
  1. So I got an unexpected bonus check, don't worry not from a company getting a bailout! So let's say I have enough to get two new camera bodies (short of D3), a new housing (Aquatica) and maybe a little left over.

     

    I assume most of my cruddy photos are due to operator error.

     

    What to do??? Upgrade to a D300? Is the D300 that much better than the D200 underwater? Better with sun balls? Wait for the D400?? Sell all my DX lenses assuming Nikon will drop the cropped sensor in the not too distant future and buy the D700 or future D800??? Any "must have" lenses? Dump the Inons, which I like, get another pair of Subtronics to save on packing batteries, extra sync cords and one more charger?

     

    What would you do????

     

    Current gear:

    D200 x 2

    Aquatica Housing

    9.25 Dome

    Flat Port

    2x Subtronic Nova Strobes

    2x Inon D2000

    Lenses Nikon 17-55mm, Sigma 17-70mm, 60mm, 105mm, Tokina 10-17mm, 10.5mm going to sell, never use since getting the Tokina. For Dry Land Nikon 200-400mm, 18-200mm, (most of my dry-land is animals or sports)

    Edited by NWDiver
  2. Now that's a sweet surprise. I do think the D300 is a significant improvement on the D200, as is the D700.

    The FX vs DX argument I think comes down to two things, do you need the ability to do very big enlargements, is low light / high ISO performance important to you? If either of these things are important, make the switch to FX, if not, it probably makes no difference and you are already invested in the lenses and stay with DX.

    I doubt Nikon will drop the cropped sensor in the near future. There would be a lot of unhappy people if they could not use their DX lenses.

    The only thing though, hard as it is to have cash burning a hole in your pocket, I would wait to see what this year brings; the D300 is already over a year old and is likely to be replaced this year, and a possible D700x is likely to take away any Canon 5DMKII envy.

    Just my two pennies, as you asked.

  3. I would say 60-70% of my shooting is underwater. In general I lean to WA, it's just how my eye sees things. So faster focus in low light would be nice. Being able to shoot higher ISOs would be nice for WA and natural light shots like the mantas but I am a total amateur so poster size enlargements are as big as I have interest in. I can always put the money in the market, ok maybe not. Put it in the bank, well maybe that is a bad idea. Wow spending it on some useless piece of electronics is sounding better and better.

  4. Given your current kit, I'd stick with DX but wait for the d400. Order the housing now, so you get the first one off the line, and spend the savings on a dive trip to some place very nice.

  5. Skip the gear. I've got very similar gear. I haven't felt compelled to upgrade. I would love a D700 for land use, but haven't pulled the trigger.

     

    Spend the money on a trip so you can use the gear you have.

     

    If you can't get more vacation time, them upgrade the dive vacation.

     

    Invest in some stock index funds. In 12 years, the market will give you a great return.

  6. Current gear:

    Lenses Nikon 17-55mm, Sigma 17-70mm, 60mm, 105mm, Tokina 10-17mm, 10.5mm going to sell, never use since getting the Tokina. For Dry Land

     

    No, no, no! It is your patriotic duty to spend your check and sell your Sigma 17-70 & Tokina 10-17 DX lenses to me. :(

    If you are not in too big of a hurry, you may want to wait and see what shakes out in the next few weeks.

     

    Regards,

    Bob

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.