Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Dumb 300 DPI question

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Dumb 300 DPI question

6 posts
  1. Searched around and could not find an answer so.... If shooting raw, Nikon D200, when I open my files in CS3 they show a DPI of 240. If I want 300 DPI what do I do? Is this a camera setting or something in CS3? Any help welcome.

  2. Searched around and could not find an answer so.... If shooting raw, Nikon D200, when I open my files in CS3 they show a DPI of 240. If I want 300 DPI what do I do? Is this a camera setting or something in CS3? Any help welcome.

    That's just metadata and doesn't really mean anything ... pixel resolution combined with a DPI gives you the "image size" - which is a hypothetical concept until you go to display it or print it.

     

    What counts is the pixels which determine how much information you actually have ... but ...

     

    Press "Alt + Ctrl + I" ... which will give you the "image size" dialog in CS3 and you can change these settings as well as actually downsample or uprez the image.

     

    When it comes time to save an image file out of CS3 - a TIFF or a JPEG or whatnot - you can also set the DPI as metadata ... but again, all that REALLY counts is the pixel resolution.

     

    HTH!

  3. Ok so I am still a little lost. Looking to enter a few in Scuba Diving's photo contest and they require 300 DPI at 8.5x11, minimum. So if I go into "Image Size" and enter 300DPI in "Resolution" it seems to increase the size of the photo. Is this something I want to do before editing the photo? Or am I actually reducing the resolution?

  4. Ok so I am still a little lost. Looking to enter a few in Scuba Diving's photo contest and they require 300 DPI at 8.5x11, minimum. So if I go into "Image Size" and enter 300DPI in "Resolution" it seems to increase the size of the photo. Is this something I want to do before editing the photo? Or am I actually reducing the resolution?

    If you uncheck "resample image" then it will use the available pixels and not alter the native pixel resolution. If you check "resample image", it will uprez or downsample as required to meet the other parameters.

  5. They want a file that is at least 2550 on the short side and at least 3300 pixels on the long side. How your program is set is irrelevant. Just up-res the file using bicubic smoother if you need to.

  6. Native resolution of the D300 is 4288x2848 so unless you have cropped the image to less than 3300x2550 you won't have to do anything.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.