I have noticed through all the replys to the 5050Z that very few if none use the Ikelite housing for the 5050Z. Most are using the PT15. Are there not enough advantages to the Ikelite to purchase it over the PT15? I plan to buy the Ikelite once the money is saved for this housing and I just like the way the housing is made. Also Ikelite claims to operate every control on the camera. Can the pt15 hold up to this claim?
I understand that there is a cost difference between the 2. Just curious.
SB
Yes you can access every camera function with the PT-015. IMO it is a small, affordable high quality housing rated for 40m.
The Ikelite is a more robust and rugged housing and has a better depth rating. It also has a 'press and stay depressed' feature which is very handy when you need to keep a button pressed and turn the jog dial on the C5050 at the same time e.g aperture setting in Manual mode. It also comes with a tray and handle.
Probably the reason is that there is a price difference between the two housings.
Ikelite housings are robust, with wall thickness much greater than the PT series of Olympus housings.
The Oly housings are compact, and easy to dive with, but if you are going to get serious or go deep, get the Ike.
Actually, I now own one of each. When I got my C-5050z, I bought one of the Ikelite housings and have been very pleased with it. However, in addition to SCUBA, I also am into sea kayaking. Once the PT-015 was available in the US for $159, I couldn't resist and got one to use in my boat. While there is a cost difference, keep in mind that the Ikelite housing does come with a tray -- you'll have to pay for one for the PT-015. The stay depressed controls are nice as well and are worth a few extra bucks IMHO.