Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

travel/storage case

Started by luminary ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

travel/storage case

8 posts
  1. What kinds of cases do you all use for your camera gear? I'm gonna be ordering an Ikelite housing for my 4040 today or tomorrow. I have a Sealife 35mm that came with a hard storage case and was wondering what everyone uses for their digital stuff. I'm assuming the Ike doesn't come with a storage/travel case correct?

     

    I briefly looked on a few different online stores and couldn't find anything usefull. Ideally I'd like something that will be able to hold a WA and Macro lens if/when I get them.

     

    Thanx...

  2. If you just want a softcase for your camera and lenses, then I would look at bags by Domke and Tamrac. I got a really nice Tamrac Superlight 1 last weekend and it kicks wrasse.

     

    For travelling with a hard case, I have a Pelican case for my housing, arms, and strobes.

     

    HTH

    James

  3. Hi,

     

    I just bought a Lowepro Stealth 650 reporter 650 and am thrilled with it.

     

    http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/stealt.../stealth650.htm

     

    I bought it for my camera and laptop. but once I took it home and took the excess padding out I figured out it will easily hold my Ikelite housing, the G2, two ds125 strobes and a bunch of crap to make it all run. I will pack the strobe arms and handles in my dive bag, but the sensitive stuff can now travel with me all the time.

     

    And it qualifies as a carry on as long as you dont overstuff it.

     

    :)

     

    ps: I do have a Pelican 1650 humongus hard case, but I might be using that for my gear now. (God I love digital)

     

     

    [Edited on 5-15-2002 by bobjarman]

  4. Thanx for the input...

     

    Would you guys say those cases are durable enough to bring on the boat without ruining them? In retrospec, my question maybe wasn't clear...Not so much looking for a case for travelling as for a case to keep the camera/lenses stored in until I'm ready to set it up on the boat. Not necessarily an all purpose travel bag...

  5. I only dive off livaboards anymore, so that isnt a huge issue. Normally I just unpack everything and leave it on the camera table.

     

    If your on a small day dive boat, I think this would be ok, but I would probably get a small pelican case since everything seems to get so knocked around on small boats.

     

    PS: If you are diving off from small day boats, I would recommend you get the rinse bag from UW photo tech. It folds flast for transport, will carry your gear to and from the boat, and you can fill it with water for your own rinse tank, avoiding the crash of others gear.

  6. Damn! I hate it when I don't log in. That last post is mine folks. Send all flame and money this way.

  7. Laz: how do you keep the foam stuck to the inside of the cooler? Do you use spray on rubber cement?

     

    Cheers

    James

  8. Nah, I don't glue it--no sense in ruining a perfectly good cooler. The foam is large enough that it curls up and the camera fits snuggly in the middle. The weight of the camera keeps the foam in its place. Folding the camera arms is an art in itself but I found the perfect way to do it and the camera setup fits like a glove inside the cooler. If you REALLY want to see what it looks like I'll post a picture of it.

     

    The cold beer keeps the camera case cool so it doesn't fog up when I jump in the cooler water.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.