Hi Leslie
i got a helpfull reply from Niel Bruce
"That picture is of a really interesting little isopod. It belongs to the family Sphaeromatidae, which has a very large number of species in Australia (~130). It is surely a species that is, as yet not named. That is, ‘new to science’.
It seems to be a species of the genus Cercosphaera, a genus that I set up for three small and highly ornate species from southern Australian coasts, that is about Victoria to Southern WA, but not previously from NSW. But it is also similar to very poorly known species called Cilicaea hystrix—I can specifically exclude that species, though C. hystrix possibly does belong to Cercosphaera.
So—a new species I am fairly certain. The thing is, can you collect a series of specimens? The one in the photo appears to be adult. If you think that you can I can certainly let you know how to go about catching some, if you can see them. "
kinda cool hey
i dont think i would be able to refind the little guy again , and tomorow is my last dive on the pipeline , but perhaps next time im up here .
its nice to know there is new "Unknown to science" critters out there to be found
thanks for your help
Regards
Matt