Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Speed up Firefox

Started by wagsy ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Speed up Firefox

10 posts
  1. If you want try this......worked for me.

     

    1. Type "about:config" into the address bar (no spaces) and hit Return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

    --network.http.pipelining

    --network.http.proxy.pipelining

    --network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

    Normally the browser will make one request at a time to a Web page. When you enable pipelining, the browser will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

     

    2. Alter the entries as follows:

    Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

    Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

    Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. (This tells the browser to make 30 requests at once.)

     

    3. Lastly, right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before acting on received information.

     

    If you have a slowish computer you might want to lessen the amount of browser requests

    Edited by wagsy
  2. Very nice...

  3. Very nice...

     

    Well, I tried it on FireFox. Does seem to speed the inital loading. Nice feature in FireFox, you can see the user modifications (in bold). Thanks for the tip.

    Regards,

    Bob

  4. You can also try the Fasterfox Lite extension. It includes this tweak and a few more. It's experimental, so you'll have to register with Mozilla, but I've been using it for years and really like it.

    Edited by expatdiver
  5. I have taken to using Googles Chrome .. and besides the fact that plugins aren't available just yet (soon come apparently) I am very happy with it, and is definitely faster than firefox.

     

    There is not much I miss apart from IE tab (great fo sites that work in IE) and a few right click options. None of it has been annoying enough for me to want to go back to Firefox yet. (was using Firefox in 2003 when it was called Firebird and so it's quite a big step to change away from it)

  6. Cheers Wags,

     

    Looks like you could do a fair amount of damage on that page messing around with settings!

  7. Yep... :)

     

    I have yet to try out that google chrome Giles.

  8. Thanks for the tips!

     

    I have four different Gmail accounts, so to keep all of them up at once, I have to use four separate browsers. That has given me a chance to use four different ones quite a bit.

     

    In order of preference, I would choose:

     

    1. Google Chrome - fast, simple and clean (as you would expect from those geniuses at Google)

    2. Firefox - not perfect, but the latest version seems to work well.

    3. Opera - simple and fast.

    4. IE - I don't particularly like it, but some sites only seem to work with IE, so you almost have to have it.

  9. 4. IE - I don't particularly like it, but some sites only seem to work with IE, so you almost have to have it.

     

    Get the IE Tab extension for Firefox and you should never need to open IE again.

     

    I also think there is an extension that will handle multiple gmail accounts.

    Edited by expatdiver
Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.