Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Stills off video using Vegas 8

Started by scubaseven ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Stills off video using Vegas 8

14 posts
  1. Hi. Just started using Vegas pro 8.

    Wondering if you can capture still photos off your video footage and if so how?

    I can do it using powerdirector, but want to use vegas all the time.

    If so, does the photo come out high quality (6mp +) or just an average quality still?

    cheers

  2. Think I worked it out.

    Position the cursor in the timeline to choose the frame you want to save. The frame is displayed in the Video Preview window.

    Click the Video Preview Quality button and choose a setting from the menu to change the size of the frame in the Video Preview window.

    Click the Save Snapshot to File button to save the current frame as an image file.

    The Image Filename dialog is displayed to allow you to choose the format and location where you want to save the file. The file is automatically added to the Project Media list.

     

    If this is not the best or only way please let me know.

    Thanks.

  3. When I try that, I get a .jpg image, that appers "zig zaggy" when zoomed in. Edges are not sharp, not crisp. It appears as if I'm only saving to the export file either only the odd or the even interlaced lines of the chosen frame. When I look at the Preview pane, the image is much crisper. I wonder why? Is is because my export to file of an interlaced frame, is only exporing half the image?

    Edited by wolfeeldiver
  4. When I try that, I get a .jpg image, that appers "zig zaggy" when zoomed in. Edges are not sharp, not crisp. It appears as if I'm only saving to the export file either only the odd or the even interlaced lines of the chosen frame. When I look at the Preview pane, the image is much crisper. I wonder why? Is is because my export to file of an interlaced frame, is only exporing half the image?

     

     

    I think you are correct wolfeel. In photoshop elements there is a filter called video:deinterlace. Works well, but you still don't get a picture as good as a quality dedicated camera.

  5. Make sure your preview quality is set at "Best (Full)" when you export the still.

     

    Make sure your project properties match your video media (File > Project Properties > Video tab > Match Media Settings (yellow folder top right in the dialogue box)).

     

    If you're working with interlaced footage, get rid of the "jaggies" by deinterlacing. Do this temporarily in Vegas prior to exporting the still (File > Project Properties > Video tab > Field order > None (progressive scan) and make sure you have a deinterlace method set on the same dialog - mine is usually "blend"). Remember to set project properties back to match your video media again afterwards if you're going to be doing video editing.

     

    Personally I export an interlaced still and deinterlace it in Photoshop afterwards (Filter > Video > De-interlace).

     

    Besides the "Save Snapshot to File" command you can also "Copy Snapshot to Clipboard" using the icon next to it and then paste that into another program. In some circumstances you can get a slightly different resolution using that method.

    Edited by Nick Hope
  6. Thanks Nick for the detailed info

    Looks like I need photoshop also

    Was just starting to get a basic knowledge of Vegas (prob 1% of what is on it) and now I have to go through it all over again

    I think someone else said this, "I am too old for this s@#t"

    Cheers all.

    :)

  7. Seven, setting progressive scan in Vegas prior to exporting the still is quite OK. No need to get Photoshop just for that.

     

    If you're not an instruction manual reader, maybe you should try some Vegas tutorial DVDs or something. VASST have some, among others.

  8. Nick

    cannot find the instruction manual

    I have the dvd, but its 400km away

    will have it next weekend

    have been downloading "how to" vids off youtube so far

    thanks

  9. Make sure your preview quality is set at "Best (Full)" when you export the still.

     

    Make sure your project properties match your video media (File > Project Properties > Video tab > Match Media Settings (yellow folder top right in the dialogue box)).

     

    If you're working with interlaced footage, get rid of the "jaggies" by deinterlacing. Do this temporarily in Vegas prior to exporting the still (File > Project Properties > Video tab > Field order > None (progressive scan) and make sure you have a deinterlace method set on the same dialog - mine is usually "blend"). Remember to set project properties back to match your video media again afterwards if you're going to be doing video editing.

     

    Personally I export an interlaced still and deinterlace it in Photoshop afterwards (Filter > Video > De-interlace).

     

    Besides the "Save Snapshot to File" command you can also "Copy Snapshot to Clipboard" using the icon next to it and then paste that into another program. In some circumstances you can get a slightly different resolution using that method.

    Great tips, thanks for sharing.

  10. ....

    If so, does the photo come out high quality (6mp +) or just an average quality still?....

    cheers

     

    Full HD is 1080x1920 so that = 2.0736 MP

  11. From HDV, Vegas Pro exports 1920 x 1080 stills at about 400-500 KB.

  12. Now if you had you know what...all it takes is a simple click on a button to get a full res deintelaced image from the timeline :P

    Edited by wagsy
  13. Now if you had you know what...all it takes is a simple click ...:P

    Yea.. yea.. yea.. Wagsy... we know.. we know... :lol:

  14. Full HD is 1080x1920 so that = 2.0736 MP

     

    thanks for that

    the 4MP stills on the HC 9 are better or the 6MP (when not filming) better still

    so may just go with that.

    2MP is ok for a phone.

    cheers

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.