Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Underwater Settings for Canon S30

Started by GeorgeE ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Underwater Settings for Canon S30

6 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I´ll be diving for the first time with my Canon S30 (no strobe).

     

    What settings (speed, aperture, ISO, etc) should be used? Or should I leave it in Program mode.

     

    I´m no expert and not willing to spend all my diving time adjusting the camera. But I would also like to take decent pictures (although I'm aware that without a strobe it is difficult to take good pictures).

     

    Any pointers will be appreciated?

     

    Do you apply the anti-fog gel?

  2. George,

    I have been using a S40 and S45 without a strobe.... my settings..

    I set the flash down about -1/3 to -2/3

    Set flash ALWAYS on

    Iso on either AUTO or 50

    If I shoot JPEG I set white balance on cloudy but generally shoot RAW and choose white balance back home -

    Have had good results on Program mode rather than AUTO.

    Lots of other possibilities, but this is a reasonable place to start.

    The picture below was on my first digital dive in 18m water shell harbour australia. Settings as above.

    Been run through canonn RAW converter and photoshop a bit. Converted to JPEG with some compression so the quality not as good as I can see/print it.

     

    I like the fish scales on the teeth! And how many Nudibranchs are on the wall behind?

    HTH

    Tack

    ps please let me know if the picture doesn't work for you....

    28-moreymouth.jpg

  3. Thanks for your reply Tack,

     

    Interesting tip about the flash...

     

    I assume that the reduced flash is for close-ups... or it is also for +-2m distance shots?

  4. George,

    the reality is that the flash is so (relatively) weak underwater that you won't be taking a lot of flash shots at 2-3 meters away anyway :unsure:

    Certainly get some natural light sots or some "fill flash" equivalent.

    The Problem is that the flash does tend to blow out the highlights of the closer objects and - with digital-blown is blown....a slight underexposure is often easy to correct tho'.

    Really been a bit of trial and error but I am interested to see that a lot of people wind the flash back a bit on compact digitals underwater when there is no external strobe.

    HTH

     

    Tack

  5. George,

     

    As Tack said, use your flash only for the closeup shots, anything that is further don't even try the flash. Also if the watere is not crystal clear you will get so much back scatter that the picture will be unusable.

    I don't know where you plan to dive but if you will go in the carabean or somewhere similar you may have a chance down to 30 ft/10m for the rest ...

     

    The good new is that you can shoot great macro without the flash and it is worth it.

     

    Good luck

    Vlad

     

    PS. Here is a macro shot:

    http://24.74.150.92/all_my_pics/Wilmington...d/tode_fish.htm

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.