I have recently started the hobby of underwater photography and bought a Canon S40 and WP-DC300. I have taken a couple of dive trips and have come to the reality that I need a strobe in get better pictures. I have been looking into the YS-90 Auto because it seems much less complicated than the others I have read about. I don't want to spend my entire dive staring at a camera so I am looking a stobe that some good pics with but not spend the entire dive setting the various settings on the camera. Does any one have any suggestions without spending in excess of $600. Am I making is more complicated then it actually is?? Should I just buy a YS-90 DX?? Or look at a auto sensing strobe? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Brett :
I dont know much about your housing, but I would think you need a autosensing strobe regardless, unless you have a way to hard wire the strobe.
If yout talking about a TTL strobe system, check inot the IKE DS50 set up. Its a nice small strobe thats a bit less in cost and has a good reputation.
The ds125 is a lot more powerful, but a lot more money as well!
The Epoque strobe for small cameras like your is available at several shops. I think it was around 200 EUR.
Brett,
I have a similar set up to you except have the S50 camera. I am in the same position (looking for a strobe). I have talked to a few dive shops and came to the same conclusion you did. A strobe is a must to get even better pictures. I have decided on the Sea and Sea YS-25DX strobe package for the canon camera. I ended up using divers direct out of Florida (800-DIVE-USA). One of their CSR's (Mike) was excellent. He explained all the differences and shoots with the 90DX and spent a good 30 minutes on the phone. Since he took the most time to discuss the camera and strobe, he got the sale! The end result was that for someone new, the 25DX will suffice and last you multiple years especially if you take mostly macro. The 90DX was better for wreck/wide angle shots and provides more strobe settings. They even went as far as discussing some of the camera settings and how to test the strobe (focus on one image and take pictures with every setting until you find the strobe setting that works the best). I was hesitant to order something of this large scale from over the phone and from a place I've only made smaller purchased from. They knew the Canon setup alot better than my local shops. They carry Sea & Sea's highest rating (SLPRO) and it shows.
My only problem is that the cover for the fiber optic cable is backordered delaying my shipment. This is a Sea & Sea issue. Divers Direct has been great and provides me with a status update on my order about every week. They know when I need it by and I am confident they will do everything under their power to deliver. They haven't charged the cc yet, so that's another plus. When ordering the package, make sure you tell anyone that you need the flash cover for the fiber optic cable and that you are using the Canon underwater housing.