Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

8" dome port from ikelite

Started by cobozz ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

8" dome port from ikelite

5 posts
  1. hi there people

     

    im busy building my own housing and got everything sorted except the dome port , i live in south africa and the only port i can get my hands on is the 8" dome port from ikelite

     

    can anybody tell me how good the quality of the domes they use are for surf photography ?

     

    i got the 8mm zuiko fisheye lens

     

    thanks for your time

  2. Thats a good question and I am curious myself. I have an ikelite housing and wondering about the housing and dome ports for Surf photography

  3. Ikelite do have an agent who operates from durban,perhaps give him a shout and throw the question at him?

     

    Ryan

  4. Thats a good question and I am curious myself. I have an ikelite housing and wondering about the housing and dome ports for Surf photography

     

     

    Dome ports rely on water pressure to maintain a tight seal...especially with only two port locks. Ikelite now have an upgrade to 4 port locks, so it might make it a bit more relaistic to take it in the surf, but still a big risk. I'd whack a couple of zip straps or a diy port lock on if i was going to try it out. And without a camera in the housing as a test.

  5. hi there people

     

    im busy building my own housing and got everything sorted except the dome port , i live in south africa and the only port i can get my hands on is the 8" dome port from ikelite

     

    can anybody tell me how good the quality of the domes they use are for surf photography ?

     

    i got the 8mm zuiko fisheye lens

     

    thanks for your time

     

    The qualit of the Ikelite 8" dome is fine and probably same to other brand plastic domes. The attchment to the housing is the factor.

     

    Have you already milled a port hole into your custom housing? If not, I would consider a different port attachment method to the housing. Or if already committed to the Ikelite port system to add additional port locks to your custom housing (like maybe 6 or more),

     

    I'm a long time Ikelte housings user and never had problems, but never used them in any large surf either. If it was me, I"d probably use a bayonet or screw-in type of port attachment that provided strength all around the port diameter instead of only at certain points of the port for surfing use.

     

    I also would choose a smaller dome for less drag and surface area to the water force under a big wave.

     

    I do local beach dives, but take my housed camera only on very calm and small surf days. So take my 2 cents for what it is worth.

     

    Good luck and maybe show some pics of your custom housing in the DIY forum section?

     

    Bo

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.