Maybe this sounds silly to some (apologies if that's so), but I'd like to know the various techniques for divers to enter the water with their camera gear. I know most of the time we have the luxury of jumping in first and then have our camera handed over by the boat crews, but what if we don't have that luxury? What if there's high current and we have to do negative descend with our gear? How do you do it?
I have been hanging my camera to my bcd using a carabiner clip, but this was before I was considering having strobe, arms etc. Now that I'm on the verge of getting a strobe and the necessary contraptions, I'm having doubts whether that's feasible anymore. Any thoughts?
If I have to jump in and there is no help, if possible leave it at a surface i can reach up for to grab after, I think this is possible in MOST situations.
However when not available hold the rig above your head with one hand and your mask reg with the other. your impact will slow your entry down and so the housing does not take a beating and potentially flood.
Ok this looks stupid and it was John Bantin who showed me so it may well be stupid - but it works.
If you lower your camera into the water first and then kindof roll in to one side of it you find that :-
1: most people laugh at you.
2: your camera is not at all stressed.
I only put this forward so that we can all look as daft at Bantin.
Paul C
Ok this looks stupid and it was John Bantin who showed me so it may well be stupid - but it works.
If you lower your camera into the water first and then kindof roll in to one side of it you find that :-
1: most people laugh at you.
2: your camera is not at all stressed.
I only put this forward so that we can all look as daft at Bantin.
Paul C
Hi Paul & Giles,
Thanks for the tips. Apologies for cross-posting Giles. When I did the search, it didn't come up. Anyway, the link you provided is very interesting. Plus it gave me some new ideas (like the Bantin roll).
Cheers,
Barttrigger
the Bantin roll
mmm don't call it that - you will only get the old bugger over excited, and it is not good for him.
Paul C
mmm don't call it that - you will only get the old bugger over excited, and it is not good for him.
Paul C
Well Paul,
Does the Bantin Camera Shield roll sound better?
Does the Bantin Camera Shield roll sound better?
LOL
Hi all,
Maybe this sounds silly to some (apologies if that's so), but I'd like to know the various techniques for divers to enter the water with their camera gear. I know most of the time we have the luxury of jumping in first and then have our camera handed over by the boat crews, but what if we don't have that luxury? What if there's high current and we have to do negative descend with our gear? How do you do it?
I have been hanging my camera to my bcd using a carabiner clip, but this was before I was considering having strobe, arms etc. Now that I'm on the verge of getting a strobe and the necessary contraptions, I'm having doubts whether that's feasible anymore. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Barttrigger
i gently roll into the water while sitting on the side of the boat. gently is the key word. sometimes i even slide in.
However when not available hold the rig above your head with one hand and your mask reg with the other. your impact will slow your entry down and so the housing does not take a beating and potentially flood.
My only flood happened while trying this method. Maybe poor operator execution is to blame. For what its worth.
My only flood happened while trying this method. Maybe poor operator execution is to blame. For what its worth.
On my last trip I entered to the water with this method on all the 30 dives we made - no problems what so ever..
Hello all
I have a length of rope attached SECURELY to the boat with a clip at one end that I use to dangle my rig in the water before I jump in. Just make the line long enough to submerge the camera below the keel of the boat so it doesn't bash against the hull
I use the same line to bring the rig aboard. That way I am in control of the rig at all times.
Cheers
Joe
If I cannot have it handed to me, I fully inflate my Diverite Super one wing, and giant stride in. I hold the camera (Ikelite D70+ 2 SB-105's) above my head. This way the rig doesn't even get wet until I lower my arms.
Another technique you can try....ttry entering in a back-roll position with the while holding the housing in front of your stomach/chest. You cradle the housing to your body. You land on your back. Your body makes the harder landing. You can try holding the housing upright at the same time so it does not hit the water. Be sure your BC is fully inflated.
I did this once and it worked.
get a length of surgical cord, clip to the rig on one end and a clip to your bc on the other.... lower rig into water and the weight will stretch the cord.... giant stride to the side of it and you have instant access to it if ya need to enter negative..... no messing around with convoluted entries and surgical cord is stronger than a strong thing...
hth
get a length of surgical cord, clip to the rig on one end and a clip to your bc on the other.... lower rig into water and the weight will stretch the cord.... giant stride to the side of it and you have instant access to it if ya need to enter negative..... no messing around with convoluted entries and surgical cord is stronger than a strong thing...
hth
Until it snaps, yeah.
When I lived in Jeddah pre 97 we used to hang our camera housings from the boat on good lines with carabinas (given that we were the only people diving from the boat) It also meant that you could retrieve a second housing with another lens without surfacing.
Of course this was not without issues. On two consecutive weekends both the owner of the boat and myself had to make a 70M dive to retrieve a housing that had become detached
I prefer somebody hands the housing over once I am in the water