Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Need some help with fish id for tropical species

Started by simonmittag ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Need some help with fish id for tropical species

3 posts
  1. Hi Everyone,

     

    I took this (not very good) picture at the Cod Hole, Great Barrier Reef, Australia in January. I have tried to identify the fish but can't find a match, any ideas? The animal was solitary, in 10m of water at a shallow reef site, during the day.

     

    I first thought it's a Soldierfish but abandoned this. Now think Cardinalfish family? From what I can tell:

     

    Yellow Dorsal fin.

    Big eye

    Dotted black lateral lines

     

    it could be that? Unfortunately the dorsal is folded so it doesn't give any good id, and I took the picture without flash, which died during the dive. I darkened this a little so the pattern can be seen better.

     

    Any input is MUCH appreciated.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Simon

    post-23674-1235169967.png

    Edited by simonmittag
  2. Not sure, but to me it looks like a two-lined monocle bream, Scolopsis bilineatus.

  3. Mate,

     

    I just looked this up in Lieske, Myers "Coral Reef Fishes" and you are spot on! They have various shades some are brown on the upper half, but all have yellow dorsal, the lines and the big eyes.

     

    A big thank you!

     

    Simon

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.