Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Beach find in Devon

Started by ralphy ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Beach find in Devon

7 posts
  1. Found this amongst the flotsam yesterday on a beach in Devon.

     

    It's hollow and feels very light, like a cuttlefish.

     

    RSM_7646.jpg

     

    RSM_7647.jpg

     

    RSM_7648.jpg

     

    Any ideas?

     

     

    R

  2. Urchin?

  3. Urchin?

     

    That was my guess too, but what type I wonder? Plus, I've never seen one before on the beach - and I do a lot of beach-combing!

     

    R

  4. I think it is a Spatangoida. In German its called "Herzigel" look at Wiki.

  5. This is a heart urchin or sea potato - a sand dweller which normally ploughs through the sand and can often be located by the furrow it leaves behind. Picton's book shows 5 different shallow water heart urchins from the UK, the commonest of which is Echinocardium cordatum, with a further two Echinocardium species and two others. Of these I'd say this one probably is cordatum going by the illustrations that I can find. I see them quite regularly in Cardigan Bay in Wales and they sometimes get caught out by storms and washed up. As the 'test', as theis chalky shell-like skeleton is known, is very fragile they don't often make it onto the strandline intact.

  6. We get them down here Ralph, have collected a few of the 'shells' - have even seen them alive one one occasion.

     

    Nice find though they are very fragile, so don't sneeze on it.

     

    Paul C

  7. Thank you, one and all!

     

    R

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.