Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Getting Rid of Wind Noise

Started by jonny shaw ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Getting Rid of Wind Noise

7 posts
  1. Do any of you know of a good way to eliminate wind noise in post? I had to shoot an interview and the wind was blowing pretty hard, i's ok but I really could do with cleaning it up.

    I'm using FCS

     

    Cheers

  2. Jonny,

    Wind is very, very hard to remove in post. Generally you wind up significantly altering the sound of the voices and flattening them when you do reduce them. You can attempt to reduce it by using Soundtrack Pro. Open one of the voice clips in there. Use "Set Ambient Noise Print" on a place in the voice track where all you have is background and wind. Then select a portion of the voice track with talking and select "Remove Ambient Noise". For more details the manual is pretty clear on this.

     

    A better plan is to have a good "softie" on your Mike, and a boom pole to keep the mic out of the wind as much as possible. Also, for very windy conditions use a "Zeplin" over the softie. Finally check your audio settings to make sure wind reduction is on.

    Hope this helps.

    shawn

  3. Thanks Shawn, I'll give that a shot....

  4. 1. Convert the track to mono by only selecting one of the voice channels. Do not combine them

    2. Use a bass roll off filter and role off 100 hz and below with at least 12-16db slope

    3. Then use the method suggested by Shawn for the nr.

    4. If it is critical..send me a 320 mp3 of the track and I'll earn my good karma and send you a few choices .

  5. Do any of you know of a good way to eliminate wind noise in post?

    Cheers

     

    Ask the mail man to cut down on the spicey food or give him a cork !!! ;):lol:

     

    I know, not one of my best :P

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  6. Ask the mail man to cut down on the spicey food or give him a cork !!! ;):lol:

     

    I know, not one of my best :P

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

     

    LOL...

     

    Thanks for the offer Mark, I ended up using Shawns method and it made it sound a heap better. You can have the karma points for offering too...

     

    Cheers

     

    Jon

  7. Jon

    there is a free program called Audacity that removes/reduces background noise

    no expert so you may want to check it out for yourself to see what it can do

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.