Hello,
I am a newspaper photographer with 20 years experience as well as a very part-time diving hobbyist. I am scheduled to photograph a story on some underwater archeologists who are currently working off the coast of New Jersey. Since I have gotten quite used to shooting all my assignments with digital Nikons , I would like to try to do the same in this case. I used to own a fair amount of Nikonos gear but sold it off as I started to dive less and less, so I am pretty familiar with underwater photography.
A colleague of mine has offered to loan me an ewa-marine U-AXP aqua housing for this shoot in which I intend to use a Nikon D-100 or D1X with mounted strobe and 17-35 lens. The dive site lies between 30-60 ft. which is within the rated limits of this housing. I am told that for the most part visibility has been quite good at about 20 feet so I plan on shooting mostly available light and using the strobe just for a little fill and extra color.
My questions mostly revolve around the U-AXP housing.
- First of all, is the U-AXP a good choice in this case or should I look into renting something more substantial? If so, what should I rent and where is a good place to rent from in the northeast?
- The instructions for the U-AXP say for diving below "snorkel" depth you should fill the housing with air to compensate for water pressure and increase the rated depth of the housing. What I have been unable to find is any information on how much air to fill the housing with for a given depth. I am assuming that too much air will make the unit too buoyant and difficult to manage, and too little air will collapse the plastic on top of the camera possibly depressing the shutter or other buttons. Is there a giudeline for how much air to fill it with?
- If there is some sort of guideline for a 30-60 ft. dive, then are there also guidelines for the amount of weight needed to counter the buoyancy?
It has been a few years since I have done any diving and I don't want to bogg myself down too much on technical issues related to the camera. My hope is that if the U-AXP is the way to go, my familiarity with the camera will make things much easier. Any other advise, suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Rgrds,
Tony