Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

strobes

Started by mtbrutger ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

strobes

4 posts
  1. Is it worth getting two strobes right away or is that just going to make things too complicated?

     

    Mat

  2. Is it worth getting two strobes right away or is that just going to make things too complicated?

     

    Mat

     

    Mat... 2 strobes are good especially for wide angle work.

    If you can fill us in with details of the rest of your camera setup, I think that would make it easier to answer.

  3. I'm in the process of purchasing everything. Canon XTi (400D), Canon 100mm macro, Sigma 10-20mm wide angle. I'm looking at Ikelite housing and accessories.

     

    mat

  4. I'm in the process of purchasing everything. Canon XTi (400D), Canon 100mm macro, Sigma 10-20mm wide angle. I'm looking at Ikelite housing and accessories.

     

    I was fine with one strobe starting out, but my "wide" shooting wasn't really all that wide and I mostly did macro stuff. During my first real wide outing with only one strobe, it became clear that I definitely needed a 2nd and I would have made good use of it.

     

    I think a lot of it comes down to how much you work with light in your normal photography. I mostly shoot macro and use the MT-24 EX macro flash - which gives me two positionable flash heads. So it was a natural extension for me to want to balance two strobes underwater.

     

    If you haven't really had to juggle more than one light source, there's nothing wrong with cutting your teeth on a single strobe and upgraded once you're comfortable. Merit can certainly be given to both approaches. Just know that there'll be certain limitations with a one-strobe approach with a really wide lens. Try to leverage what and how you shoot topside with what you think your intended subjects and style will be underwater.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.