Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Poor encoding results

Started by cdoyal ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Poor encoding results

7 posts
  1. Hey Guys-

    I'm using Edius Neo to encode clips shot on a Sony HC9. When I play the timeline, all looks smooth and good. When I encode to a WMV file, it just isn't smooth no matter how high a quality I use. I got a smooth output to an AVI file but the 1:30 minute clip is 150 mb. Any suggested settings to start with? Any help is appreciated. I usually upload to Vimeo or flikr pro then embed to a website.

  2. Hi There

     

    Make sure you wmv output settings are the same frame rate as your source.

    It may be coming out @ 15fps.

    Edited by wagsy
  3. Wags-

    I unchecked the frame rate box and it's now only 5 mb and smooth. Put a Guinness on my tab...

    Edited by cdoyal
  4. I don't know Edius as I am a Mac guy, but can't you encode to a Quicktime mov file?

    Steve

  5. I don't know Edius as I am a Mac guy, but can't you encode to a Quicktime mov file?

    Steve

     

    No, I think Quicktime is just a Mac thing.

    Edited by cdoyal
  6. You can output to Quicktime if you have Quicktime pro installed on your system from the EDIUS timeline.

     

    For HD clip to Vimeo...

    Render out a de-interlaced 1280/720 wmv file and set the bitrate @ CBR 5000 (5megs), image quality 100% or a QT H.264 version and then load it up.

    See what it looks like.

  7. You can output to Quicktime if you have Quicktime pro installed on your system from the EDIUS timeline.

     

    For HD clip to Vimeo...

    Render out a de-interlaced 1280/720 wmv file and set the bitrate @ CBR 5000 (5megs), image quality 100% or a QT H.264 version and then load it up.

    See what it looks like.

     

    One of these days I need to upgrade to the "real" Edius program and get rid of the Neo version so I have more options. Right now it's just mpeg, AVI, WMV and Canopus options.

    I'm good with the Vimeo suggestion except for the de-interlaced part. Is that setting during capture to Edius or during the rendering step?

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.