Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Puffer or Trigger?

Started by Shaff ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Puffer or Trigger?

17 posts
  1. Hey guys!

     

    I came across this juvenile at 45m depth. I don't know if it's a juvenile pufferfish or a triggerfish. It was approx 2cm.

     

    Cheers

     

    Shaff

    post-3001-1236003078.jpg

    Edited by Shaff
  2. Hey guys!

     

    I came across this juvenile at 45m depth. I don't know if it's a juvenile pufferfish or a triggerfish. It was approx 2cm.

     

    Cheers

     

    Shaff

     

    Image did not show up :P

  3. Image did not show up :P

    Check now Drew.

  4. Image did not show up :P

    I can see it and did earlier.

     

    I'm the farthest thing from an expert, but it looks like a baby puffer to me.

  5. The way it is curling it's tail says puffer to me.

  6. Hmmm....

  7. I can see it and did earlier.

     

    I'm the farthest thing from an expert, but it looks like a baby puffer to me.

     

    same as that, i would say so beacuae of the eye shape and position. looking at other juv. photos they are very similar.

     

    stew

  8. I really wanted to say baby trigger .. cause of the markings

     

    but i dont see any hint of the underbelly fin they normally have ?

  9. Could it be a filefish?

    Edited by sgietler
  10. The way it is curling it's tail says puffer to me.

    I don't know how I missed it before. But it is definitely NOT a pufferfish. The dorsal fin is way off. Triggerfish or Filefish is a much better match of body shape.

     

    That said being so wrong encouraged me to get out the books. And I am pretty confident that I have an answer.

     

    It is a filefish trying to look like a pufferfish.... Mimic Filefish (Paraluteres prionurus) The colour in your photo is different than what you will see in the books (probably because your fish is so young that it's adult color has not yet completely developed). But if you look at the pattern of the spots and stripes it is a perfect match.

    http://fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary...sname=prionurus

     

     

    What I really find fascinating is how that it is not only mimicking the pufferfish's looks, but it is also mimicking the behavior of the pufferfish with the tail-curl.

    Edited by acroporas
  11. My uneducated guess is either filefish or triggerfish because of the barely visible dorsal fin which I think is shaped very differently on a pufferfish.

  12. I don't know how I missed it before. But it is definitely NOT a pufferfish. The dorsal fin is way off. Triggerfish or Filefish is a much better match of body shape.

     

    That said being so wrong encouraged me to get out the books. And I am pretty confident that I have an answer.

     

    It is a filefish trying to look like a pufferfish.... Mimic Filefish (Paraluteres prionurus) The colour in your photo is different than what you will see in the books (probably because your fish is so young that it's adult color has not yet completely developed). But if you look at the pattern of the spots and stripes it is a perfect match.

    http://fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary...sname=prionurus

     

     

    What I really find fascinating is how that it is not only mimicking the pufferfish's looks, but it is also mimicking the behavior of the pufferfish with the tail-curl.

     

    Hi Guys,

     

    I have to agree with acroporas and I think it's a juvenile mimic filefish. I showed the photos to Dr. Charles Anderson (one of the foremost marine biologists who studies the fishes of the Maldives), and here's what he replied.

     

    "It is a juvenile Filefish. There is clearly a spiny first dorsal fin (folded down) in front of the second dorsal. Not sure about the species though. But in any case, juveniles are always a bit difficult. It is a nice photo!"

     

    Cheers

     

    Shaff

  13. Stew, yours looks like a juvvie strapweed filefish.

  14. I agree with acroporas. Baby Mimic leatherjacket (blacksaddle mimic) - Paraluteres prionurus. Take a look at: http://www.starfish.ch/collection/filefish.html

    Yep...I think i now confirm that it's a Juvenile Paraluteres prionurus. Thank you all for the help!!!!

     

    Shaff

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.