Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

How do you guys like..

Started by Lasse ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

How do you guys like..

15 posts
  1. What the F$*!!!!! I'm not surprised at all...I've had a hard time keeping divers away from the whale sharks here in the Maldives. especially Russian divers who tries to ride the mantas and whale sharks. What are they thinking???

    Edited by Shaff
  2. Not one bit in the least.

    Not to be too prejudiced but I am not surprised at all. Eastern European divers seem to me mostly to not care at all about nature and think that the big stuff is for them to do with as they wish.

    Bill

  3. Not nice at all :P

    And like Bill sayd, its not a big suprise. We have had our share of problems with Eastern European and Russian divers in the past and im afrayed its not going to change any time soon. Im not saying divers from those countries cant dive etc., but the majority of stupid behaviour UW I have seen, have been made by divers from those countrys. Im allso sure there are a lot of good and smart divers there aswell, but maybe more bad apples than usual.

  4. i dont agree with this kind of ineraction but i would rather they done that than had them on their dinner plates.

     

    stew

  5. i dont agree with this kind of ineraction but i would rather they done that than had them on their dinner plates.

     

    stew

     

    It's not only the eastern european divers. Some researchers here in the Maldives are also doing that. Or atleast were doing that. I'm uploading some pics to my thread about shark protection in the maldives.

  6. i dont agree with this kind of ineraction but i would rather they done that than had them on their dinner plates.

     

    stew

    I have to agree with that :P

    Still, if someone is stupid enough to ride a whaleshark then it really bothers me that pictures of it are posted in UW photo gallery as a proof of a great accomplishment..?! This is the signal that is sent no nondivers that visit the gallery...

  7. It's not only the eastern european divers, but they are the ones mostly doing it. I've had fights with them underwater at Manta cleaning stations. They just come over and try to ride the mantas. Some researchers doing whale shark research here in the Maldives seems to be doing that too. Going to upload some pics in my thread about Shark fisheries in the maldives.

  8. The dive guide on Nautilus I (from Austria) in Maldives told me: "They like the bubbles." after I said,

    one should avoid breathing out when a Manta is right above.

     

    So it's not only a matter of tourists' behaviour.

     

    At the south end of Ari Atoll in Maldives there are 12+ Boats searching for

    whalesharks during the season.

     

    Imagine that ! Imagine that noise UW ! And then dozens

    of crazy tourists jump right on the whaleshark !

     

    Do YOU want to be a whaleshark ?

    Edited by scubalofi
  9. Having never swum with a whale shark I am a little naive about what they like and what is acceptable.

     

    Could you enlighten me exactly what is wrong here, which action. The reaching for the mouth, holding the pectoral ?

    I would have thought that if th animal really didn't like it then they would swim off ?

     

    It's not like they are feeding the whale sharks to get their attention and make them hang around, I am not sure that is even possible!

     

    Anyways .. just looking for more of an insight rather than just this is wrong.

  10. It's not like they are feeding the whale sharks to get their attention and make them hang around, I am not sure that is even possible!

     

     

    dont you carry a supply of plankton cookies in your bcd pocket, thats why you havent seen any then.

     

    stew

  11. Giles: They swim off with the slightest touch on their bodies and they don't come back to the surface for hours. Better to just watch them rather than touch and caress them.

     

    Scubalofi: Some mantas do like the bubbles and they sometimes hover above the diver just to get the bubbles on their bellies. If you have dived Lankan Manta Point in North male' atoll you would have seen this. But they also swim off when touched.

     

    Shaff

  12. Depending on where it happens, it's these kind of activities that tend to lead to regulations that spoil passive/less invasive interaction for everyone else.

  13. Have to agree with Giles a bit

    the whale sharks I have seen swam away from us

    but the one in the photos seems to be not bothered at all

    Mike Rutzen does the same with Great Whites and he is deemed a hero for it

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.