Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Aquatica housing - Nikonos versus TTL Bulkhead?

Started by brokenbones ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica housing - Nikonos versus TTL Bulkhead?

9 posts
  1. I am looking at upgrading from my old Canon P&S/housing to a Nikon D40x with an Aquatica housing.

     

    One of the issues I have is which bulkhead should I go with? They offer 4 different options:

    1. Nikonos manual
    2. Nikonos TTL
    3. Ikelite manual
    4. Ikelite TTL

     

    I know that I will need some strobes in the near future, so which bulkhead should I take that makes the Aquatica housing future proof for me? I know that I want TTL, but which one??

     

    Thanks in advance!

    Edited by brokenbones
  2. I did not realize that there were four bulkheads now (have not looked into this recently) I thought that it was only (a) Nikonos bulkhead and/or (b) an Ikelite Bulkhead (which will only be placed in one bulkhead as far as I know even on a two bulkhead housing, note that the 40DX housing comes with one bulkhead unless you also add an option for a second bulkhead. In either event you would need an adaptor Ike Adaptors (This is assuming you are not having another modification to the housing.) Personally I think I prefer Ike bulkheads I think at this time, just because of the way the cords attach, a bit easier than Nikonos.

     

    As to future proof? I do not think it ever happens :P

    Edited by segal3
  3. Thanks.

     

    I think there are just 2 options....Ikelite or Nikonos bulkhead. I think I just got confused reading pages and pages of info on it.

    Edited by segal3
  4. Nikonos bulkheads are more universal, but the Ikelite bulkheads are a lot better design. If you are planning to use Ikelite strobes, it's a no brainer.

  5. As I understand the option youn have are 2-pin non tll or 5-pin ttl nikonosbulkhead and the same choice between the different ikelitebulkhead if you chose the non ttl version it`s not possible to get ttl ever but if you chose the ttl version you need a ttl-circuit(brand depanding your strobes ikelite or heinrich) even if you only shoot manaully .. cristal clear now :P ... Tll is great to have especially if you shoot macro ..

     

    regards jacob

  6. As I understand the option youn have are 2-pin non tll or 5-pin ttl nikonosbulkhead and the same choice between the different ikelitebulkhead if you chose the non ttl version it`s not possible to get ttl ever but if you chose the ttl version you need a ttl-circuit(brand depanding your strobes ikelite or heinrich) even if you only shoot manaully .. cristal clear now :P ... Tll is great to have especially if you shoot macro ..

     

    regards jacob

     

    Hi Jacob

     

    What is the consequence if you use a TTL bulkhead, without a ttl circuit, and the flash preset on manual?

     

    Ron O

  7. Hi Jacob

     

    What is the consequence if you use a TTL bulkhead, without a ttl circuit, and the flash preset on manual?

     

    Ron O

     

    As I understand the flash will simply not fire...

  8. As I understand the flash will simply not fire...

    It does! That is not the problem

    I have a D700 and I bought a Aquatica house with Ikelite TTL bulkhead.

    When I connect my Ikelite DS125 flash (manual preset) everything works fine, but after a while (5 minutes or a hour) the flash begins to flash uncontrollable without me touching the camera. When I quickly shut down the flash and activate it a short while later it does not respond anymore.

    I thought it had something to do with not having a ttl circuit?

  9. You can tape off pins on the ttl bulkhead to allow you to shoot without a converter.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.