Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Deep cold water wreck shot with Sony HDR-HC3e

Started by northseaexplorers ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Deep cold water wreck shot with Sony HDR-HC3e

7 posts
  1. Hi, I am a new user here and really just a keen amateur when it comes to underwater filming. I have no previous pro experience or formal training when it comes to photography/videography, but have over the past 3 or 4 years more often than not brought along a video camera on my dives.

     

    I also spend more and more of my spare time searching for and documenting ship and airplane wrecks along the Norwegian coast line and I am actively involved with an organization called Northsea Explorers who have over the past years located and documented numerous airplane and ship wrecks.

     

    I´ve uploaded the video to Vimeo and you can find it here:

     

    http://vimeo.com/3475785

     

    Shooting the wreck took three divers, one on camera with dual 24w HID´s, and two divers each equipped with a 200w HMI dive light.

     

    Any feedback you can give would be much appreciated.

  2. Crikey that was good.

     

    First off all I know about video could be written on the back of a cigarette packet, so technical critique is not coming from me, I guess I am just a viewer.

     

    Loved the linking of the B&W topside shots with the similar bits of the wreck, and the music fits very well with the moody lighting shots, for me the last shot works well and a link back to the B&W again would be nice.

     

    Pity you can't put a real name to it, for whatever reason - that kind of detracts for me, given the light levels and state of preservation I am guessing this is outside rec. limits?

     

    All in all I loved it.

     

    Paul C

  3. Crikey that was good.

     

    Thanks! :P

     

    Loved the linking of the B&W topside shots with the similar bits of the wreck, and the music fits very well with the moody lighting shots, for me the last shot works well and a link back to the B&W again would be nice.

     

    Good idea. I might try that if I can motivate myself to do another export from FCP.

     

    Pity you can't put a real name to it, for whatever reason - that kind of detracts for me, given the light levels and state of preservation I am guessing this is outside rec. limits?

     

    Yeah ... Unfortunately I´m not at liberty to reveal any further details about the wreck (at the moment at least). They would have my head! :-)

     

    Although I can say that it is a technical dive with almost no ambient lighting due to a combination of the depth and the season here in Norway.

     

    Once again, thanks for your comments!

  4. Nice footage! The vis. seems quite good as well!

    I agree with Paul that B&W pictures add a lot. But I would really like to see one photo of the whole ship at the beginning of the video. At the moment I saw alot of great details but I was not able to picture the wholeness of this big and great wreck in my minds eye.

    Then again it might be my limited imagination :P

     

    Thanks for sharing!

    Karel

    Edited by Scubamoose
  5. Good idea. I might try that if I can motivate myself to do another export from FCP.

     

    It is not that big a deal mate - as I said I know stuff all.

     

    The B&W picture linkage is a great twist though and helps 'key' the shots in for those who are not necessarily used to identifying bits of bent metal on the seabed.

     

    Although I can say that it is a technical dive with almost no ambient lighting due to a combination of the depth and the season here in Norway.

     

    Figured as much.

     

    Paul C

  6. Shooting the wreck took three divers, one on camera with dual 24w HID´s, and two divers each equipped with a 200w HMI dive light.

     

    Hi, first of all, very nice! :aggressive: I really like it, still photos, good colors, great sharpness of the details.

    However :notworthy:, with all that light, plus a great viz, why You didn`t go for any whole wreck wide angle pictures?

    You had two supporting divers with top of the line lamps, should have gotten them to work! :)

     

    All the best,

    Piotr

  7. Hi, first of all, very nice! :aggressive: I really like it, still photos, good colors, great sharpness of the details.

    However :notworthy: , with all that light, plus a great viz, why You didn`t go for any whole wreck wide angle pictures?

    You had two supporting divers with top of the line lamps, should have gotten them to work! :)

     

     

    Hi Piotr

     

    We had planned two film dives to get the wide angle shots but if something can go wrong it will and Murphy decided to show up. We had to cancel dive #2 and I will have to get these shots the next time.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.