Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

camera specific settings tips

Started by derway ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

camera specific settings tips

10 posts
  1. Hi All.

     

    I just wanted to get some discussion going here, so I thought I'd suggest a topic, which could turn into multiple threads.

     

    My idea is for anyone who has used a particulr camera under water, to describe their system setup, and then describe the camera settings and modes, which have proven to be important, and why.

     

    I think Matt has one for the Olys.

     

    I'm working on one for the G2, and will post here soon.

     

    Don

  2. I have one for the Nikon.

  3. Hello James,

     

    you know I really love the guys who just reply "yes" if you ask them "do you know what time it is?" :) So could you please post your setting for the nikon coolpix 990 here. I would really love to discuss this... Because we are using the coolpix 990 too, in a uk-germany housing?

     

    Best regards, Andi

     

    [Edited on 28.2.2002 by andi]

  4. You must remember that Nikonos V sync's with the flash at 1/90 speed or less. Furthermore, the lenses are fixed focal length.

     

    The following is my general rule of thumb setting.

     

    For Macro with 35mm, 1:1 extension with twin ikelite SS50 and ASA 100. The setting is at:

    2.75 feet

    f/22

    1/60 or AUTO

    When in Macro with added extension tube, there isn't much of a choice.

     

     

    For wide angle with 20mm twin Ikelite SS400 and ASA 200

    5 feet

    f/8 or f/5.6

    1/60 or Auto

     

    I find most of my subjects at about this distance and f/5.6 or f/8 allows for a lot of depth of field on a 20 mm. With twin Ikelite SS400, it is powerful enough to overcome the exsiting ambient darkness or brightness.

     

    I am not saying I always shoot based on the above, but the above is my default setting before and after a dive or after a shot. This way I can operate the camera without looking at the dials. My eye spends maximum time in the optical range finder looking at the subject for that perfect moment.

     

    [Edited on 3-1-2002 by David]

  5. Twin SS400s ? Do you ever take those things on a plane? I think they make submarines that weight less. I was taught to shoot macro at f22 but the Brooks Inst. of Phot recomends f16. Though you lose some dof your lens will be sharper at f16.

     

    If you are shooting dolphins avalible light don't waste your time at less than 250 shutter speed. Often true with sea lions. This is why a quality SLR that can synch at a shutter speed of 250 is a nice thing to have. What does the CP5000 synch at?

  6. SS400 weighs in at 6.6 lbs each.

     

    Twin means 13.2 lbs plus arms. Actually once underwater it is not so bad, but it still sinks. Particularly the Ikelite arms, but I really like their quick grip system, and use the easy detachement feature frequently.

     

    They do go on the plane with me. How do I do it? Well when I travel, I go in a family of 2 adults and 2 children. So I have a lot of carry on capacity as long as a I spread it out.

     

    When I mentioned my macro and wide angle setup, I mean I actually dive with both cameras (Nikonos V X 2).

     

    I have collected all this stuff over many years, if not I could not afford to go diving.

     

    With the modern SLR you have the autofocus feature to help get your shot. In the all manual Nikonos V, there is no autofocus, so you need to estimate your distance and use depth of field to allow for margin of error. Furthermore it can only sync at max of 1/90th, if I remember corrrectly.

     

    I do have some action shots, but the background is blurred / streaked due to my panning. The large optical range finder makes shots like these easier than an SLR, because your mirror is up and you cannot see anything.

     

    [Edited on 3-1-2002 by David]

  7. Hi Gang,

     

    I have a Coolpix 990 and Ikelite housing. I will post a picture of my rig as soon as I get it back from a friend. He is practicing with it for use on their upcoming Earthwatch trip to Bonaire to study sepiateuthis.

     

    The shots online at:

     

    http://www.reefpix.org

     

    were taken using this rig and a SB102 Strobe or an Ikelite 100w video lite. I have a 2 joint Ultralight arm with a triple clamp for a modelling light. The night shots of the coral spawn were taken using the video light.

     

    image

     

    When using the videolight, the camera has no problem focusing at night.

     

    For the strobe shots, I use:

     

    Camera in Aperture Priority (A) or Full Manual(M). Strobe in TTL.

     

    For macro I shoot at:

    A

    f 11 (highest on the coolpix)

    Strobe in TTL

     

    image

     

    For closer shots:

     

    2-3 ft

    A

    f 4.5 to f 7

    Strobe in TTL

     

    image

     

    For Wideangle (coolpix is around 28mm - 28mm housed ~ 20mm Nikonos lens)

     

    5-7 ft

    A

    f 4

    Strobe in TTL or Full

     

    image

     

    I recently picked up an SB90DX to add to my setup and I hope within the next month to put my Coolpix 5000 in a housing. Then I will get to work with Nikon's excellent 19mm converter lens for some close focus wideangle shots.

     

    I hope this post helps some of you.

     

    Cheers

    James Wiseman

     

     

     

    [Edited on 3-1-2002 by jamesw]

  8. Hy, I can agree with james. When we

    started with our Coolpix 990 we were

    only using a strong KOWALSKI torch

    in "flood" configuration. The Coolpix 990

    in general has no promblems focussing,

    espescially on a night dive. All in all I think

    that you get even more crisp pictures

    with a modelling light. Two nice examples

    we did for http://www.cfundivers.com follow:

     

    image

     

    :) through the

    night... If you dont own a strobe or forgot

    it you will very disappointed when taking

    a closer review on your laptop. Because

    the camera is not able to capture the

    movement. Undewater, in the LED you'll think that everything went fine, because

    you can not identify the unsharp edges...

    anyway I think the picture therefore looks a little

    more dynamic... :)

     

    image

     

    [Edited on 1.3.2002 by andi]

  9. does anybody have an idea?

     

    chironex

  10. Ok Matt, spill your guts!

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.