Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Cozumel oddities

Started by Glasseye Snapper ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Cozumel oddities

8 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    We spend two weeks at Scuba Club Cozumel (Feb 4-20) with several other wetpixelers and made some new friends during Bonnie Pelnar's UW photography workshop. After 31 dives and a lot of images there are as usual a couple I can't ID for sure and others that are clear but don't look like the images in the ID books or any individuals I have seen before. Here are a few of the latter category. I'd like to hear how normal or odd they are, and if applicable if these patterns are associated with behavior, geographic region, or something else.

     

    Thanks Bart

     

     

    post-5225-1236458563.jpg

    My wife found this sergeant major on the shore dive site of SCC. We only saw one and it seems to a genetic aberration to me

     

    post-5225-1236459003.jpg

    This one was at Villa Blanca. I think it is an ocean surgeonfish that dressed up for carnival a bit too soon

     

    post-5225-1236459245.jpg

    This yellowfin grouper is trying to fool fish ID newbies with its bright yellow mouth

     

    post-5225-1236459475.jpg

    With the gold price as high as it is, this goldentail moray at SCC has opted for a cheaper coating

     

    post-5225-1236459888.jpg

    Most dusky damselfish on the SCC shore site where this light almost silvery color, rather than the black/dark brown I am used to (see image below)

     

    post-5225-1236460528.jpg

    More typical dusky damselfish

     

    More later ...

  2. Hi Bart. It's Ellen!! Nice to meet you and your wife in Coz. I love your descriptions. hee hee. You sure are the king at identifying critters. :aggressive:

  3. I just checked the Reef Fish Behavior book and the top of page 183 shows a similar pale "dusky damselfish" except that they ID it as a threespot damselfish. So now I'm confused, can it be a threespot without the dark spots at the pectoral and caudal fin base?

     

    Bart

  4. With the exception of the eel, all the fish you've shown change colors at will - from silver to dark and back again. Sgt Major's are pale with stripes while feeding, but dark black when angry - defending their nests. The first one is interesting, it looks like it got stuck halfway! The eel is a color variation - I'm glad to see that he/she's still in front of SCC.

    Edited by jlyle
  5. Hi Jim,

     

    Fish are certainly very variable in their coloration which ensures there are always surprises on every dive. I just read your "3-weeks in Cozumel" web page and wished I had known about it prior to my trip. Beautiful images and great finds. There is now a batfish (shortnose) on the SCC shore site (just south of their lot). Not sure if it is a permanent resident as well.

     

    post-5225-1236527943.jpg

    Edited by Glasseye Snapper
  6. Oh, man! We looked all over for that little guy and never found him. I hope he's still there when we return in August.

  7. The surgeonfish is not an ocean surgeon, it is a doctorfish (Acanthurus chirurgus) and the odd color is probably a bacterial skin infection.

  8. Thanks Rocha, very interesting to know. Any tips on how to tell doctorfish and ocean surgeonfish apart if you can't simply use vertical banding on the former.

     

    Bart

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.