Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Dive boat sinks off phuket

Started by ScubaSpen ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Dive boat sinks off phuket

12 posts
  1. I just arrived in the office to hear that the liveaboard vessel MV Dive Asia I, http://www.diveasia.com/liveaboards/boats.htm, belonging to Phuket based dive company Dive Asia sunk off the coast of Phuket late last night.

     

    So far 25 people were rescued today at 1.30pm but six are still missing with 3hrs till sunset.

     

    It's hit the papers and updates can be found http://www.phuketgazette.net/

     

     

    My thoughts go out to the 6 missing.

    Edited by ScubaSpen
  2. Thats terrible news. Wasn't there another one that sank about 18 months ago at PhiPhi?

  3. The Phi Phi boat was a snorkeling boat that was over capacity and when the wind picked all 60+ people headed to the top deck. The small boat got top heavy with all the people and in the swell went down. 1 guy died as he would not let go of the boat as it went down.

     

    They raised the boat, repaired it and is now sitting in Chalong bay.

  4. I just got the email as well this am. There are actually 7 missing and not 6 as reported by Benno and Jurgen. Apparently this squall was pretty darn heavy duty. Hopefully with the air search they'll find the missing passengers soon.

    Yes the Jor Kingfisher, where one tourist died when it capsized in heavy seas. Of course it was overloaded by 200% at the time too.

  5. I have known the captain of the boat for years and is a salty sea dog with many years of experience. The weather last night was fine, we had about 1hrs rain about 11pm and waves were no bigger than a half metre.

    Edited by ScubaSpen
  6. Sad news. I hope that they find the missing folks soon.

     

    Alex

  7. as others have said. sad news, lets hope the missing are found soon.

     

    stew

  8. OK so the story is direct from Jurgen and he confirms that in a heavy squall the boat went over on the starboard side and went down by the stern in 2 mins.

  9. Really sad!! Any news where exactly did the boat sunk?

  10. Really sad!! Any news where exactly did the boat sunk?

    "about 12.6 nautical miles from Patong Beach"

    I am sure we all hope the remaining passengers are rescued very soon. I am not sure what “a red vortex” is, but the captain apparently had 10 minutes to point the vessel into the squall. The ferry has a lot of freeboard, so taking this storm on the aft port quarter could surely roll her over.

  11. it's now 1am and I am still checking for updates from the Thai navy, nothing to update.

     

    I wont sleep tonight 4 sure, I don't know what to write as my mind is racing, I wait for a phone call and hope all is OK.

  12. I'm sure "squall" doesn't do the actual weather justice. It must have been extreme and sudden indeed to catch an experienced captain off guard.

     

    Many of us have all been on boats when wind and/or rain hit suddenly, but this is one of the nightmares we all hope we'll never face!

     

    I really hope they find the rest of the people who were aboard...

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.