Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Shark Fin Soup!

Started by scubaseven ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Shark Fin Soup!

8 posts
  1. I only watched Sharkwater for the first time this week. I already knew that we were killing around 100 million a year so that was no surprise.

    Was really surprised at the level of corruption in this industry. And how it compares to the drug industry for profit margins.

    I have started to email PETA and even Greenpeace about the subject. No surprise so far. PETA replied along the lines of "out of the office right now..." and Greenpeace was "ideas are forwarded to the right person (trash can?)".

    I posted on PETA's facebook page and nothing so far either. Surprised it has not been deleted, as I have seen other posts been thrown off.

    So if anyone else has any good ideas on what to do to help please post them here. BTW I will keep emailing PETA especially.

    And if you have not seen Sharkwater, beg, borrow, or steal a copy. And show your friends so we can all see the damage this cruel and extremely wasteful industry is doing.

  2. I have been posting rational opinions on PETA's facebook page. The result; I have been blocked completely.

    I was told to do my research and to not be confrontational.

    When I quoted PETA's website which has some fictional remarks about sheep on there, I was given no reply.

    I asked what they are doing to stop urban sprawl? Is that any different to eating meat?

    Seems PETA are just spreading propaganda to the weak and ignorant.

    I guess if I informed suicide bombers that there were no virgins I would be unpopular also.

    Its all brainwashing to me.

  3. It is funny that more people are concerned about one tiger shark being killed than 100 million sharks. Is that because it is easier to attack 2-3 guys than go after a whole industry?

    Of course it is, but does that mean WP members are not really concerned about the bigger picture?

    I know a few divers who are only too happy to turn up to a dive site and expect to have the greatest dive with minimum fuss.

    That is all very well if you do not care about your kids diving too.

    If diving is your life, what happens when the corals and reefs are dead? Seems too many humans are happy to do nothing but still complain about it.

    Do you have no vision or just no guts?

     

    ps am also taking on the AWU at the moment who will probably threaten to kill me for my views. Been there done that. Had several death threats before and nearly had to kill to save my life. So not just a "keyboard cowboy".

  4. And if you have not seen Sharkwater, beg, borrow, or steal a copy. And show your friends so we can all see the damage this cruel and extremely wasteful industry is doing.
    It is funny that more people are concerned about one tiger shark being killed than 100 million sharks. Is that because it is easier to attack 2-3 guys than go after a whole industry?

     

    Do you have no vision or just no guts?

     

    1. I'm glad you saw "Sharkwater," but don't expect people to be as excited as you are about a film that many us saw several years ago. If you want to see what people thought about it, go back and read those threads.

     

    2. There are running threads about shark conservation, finning, and other issues at almost any time you hop onto Wetpixel's forums. Instead of interpreting a lack of interest in your posts as a lack of interest in those issues, try introducing a new topic or new insight, and try to do so without being abrasive and confrontational before anyone has even responded to you.

     

    3. Accusing thousands of wetpixelers of having no "vision or guts" because they don't respond to your redundant posts makes you sound crazy. And so does the quote below.

     

    ps am also taking on the AWU at the moment who will probably threaten to kill me for my views. Been there done that. Had several death threats before and nearly had to kill to save my life. So not just a "keyboard cowboy".
  5. Thats cool

    I am trying to contact some shark experts to see what can be done

    I dont mind being "crazy" because I will stand up for what is right even if it kills me. Better to live for something than die for nothing.

    Sometimes the attack does get people talking.

    And the post pinned above is fine if you live in NY or visiting KL.

    As you said, years ago. Must be some new ideas then.

    If the posts are redundant does that mean we should simply give up?

    And yes I nearly had to kill a guy who was about to kill me. Why, because I had a rational point and he had no answer except violence.

    I am not offended at the lack of interest in my post. Just the lack of interest in the topic.

  6. Better to live for something than die for nothing.

     

    Or to quote our Environment Minister and Midnight Oil front-man The Honourable Peter Garret MP

    "better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees"

    :drink:

  7. Hi Seven,

    There a many on this forum who are investing a ton of time, energy and money into making a dent in shark finning. I would be happy to give you a lot of options on how to get more involved and make a difference. This is one area that I know a lot about.

    Drop me a PM if you like.

    Shawn

  8. Give the fishermen 1% of the hundreed thousand dollars coming from diving and tourism to get them stop shark fishing, and I'm sure they'll be rich.

     

    By the way, 2009 is Year of the shark, a lot of infos about what is actually hapening and what are we trying to do can be see here :

     

    http://groups.google.com/group/let-sharks-live?hl=en

     

    I have hope. as Rob Stewart told, "sharks will survive us" :drink:

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.