Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

photoshop CS4

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

photoshop CS4

10 posts
  1. I use lightroom and like it. Was easy to learn and use.

    Considering whether there is any benefit to buying Photoshop CS4. Not certain what it brings to the table that I need. I am a hobbyist shooter with no plans to publish work.

     

    I shoot a G9 so noise in black regions is a problem at times and I would like to make those areas more black without effecting any other portion of the print or color.

    I do not know what else CS4 brings to the table.

     

    What would I find useful with the program? Or am I asking...why is there air?

     

    Dave

  2. What would I find useful with the program? Or am I asking...why is there air?

     

    That's easy partner, to fill up Scuba tanks!

     

    My two cents, I've got CS4 and have had a copy of Photoshop on some machine since version 5. Once I started using Lightroom I have very rarely opened PS. It all depends on what you want to do with your photography. Want to manipulate multiple images and play with some of the cool PS filters? Pick up a copy. Want to process your images and get the best out of them relatively easily? Stick with LR for a while and buy better glass. If you or your kids are in college, Adobe has some killer deals that might convince me to go for it, otherwise I'd recommend you learn all you can from LR before taking the plunge.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. I just used CS4 for its free 30 day trial. I think its an awesome piece of software and I'm going to buy it.

    I could use NX2 or lightroom but I'll always be wondering if I got the best out of a shot?

  4. I used 'CS' before recently upgrading to 'CS4' (using my son's educational licence!!).

     

    Its an incredible piece of software and is far more intuitive than its predecessors. I love it. Where it scores for me big time is with the Nik Dfine plug-in which makes a dramatic improvement to the digital noise you get when shooting the G9 at higher ISO's. Maybe you can use this plug-in with Lightroom too. I also use the Focus Magic plug-in for sharpening. Again, I'm not sure this transfers to Lightroom.

     

    That said, I am considering purchasing Lightroom as I understand it is designed specifically to simplify digal photography workflow. If I do, I expect CS4 will become less used and maybe only for supporting plug-ins and some more involved post processing.

  5. Have to say I have long used photoshop (stuck at CS3 for cost) - but had a great demo of lightroom by Steve Williams while in Cayman in Jan.

     

    mmmm those graduated filters.....

     

    (Bet you figured I was asleep Steve)

     

    Paul C

    Edited by PRC
  6. Thanks for all the responses.

     

    Since I can get the educational license for my daughter, I ordered CS4 today. If I had to pay full cost, would never order it.

    I also plan to order one of the noise reduction plug in's discussed on this website. Have not decided which one yet.

     

    NOW, what book or literature should I get to help figure out what to do with CS4 when it arrives?

  7. No question in my mind get the latest available Martin Evening book - he has both lightroom and photoshop offerings - they are both good.

     

    Paul C

  8. Hey All

     

    Remember there are limits on educational licenses, who is elgible to purchase it, what can be done with things produced by the software etc.

     

    For instance, often there is limits on commercial use.

  9. Hey All

     

    Remember there are limits on educational licenses, who is elgible to purchase it, what can be done with things produced by the software etc.

     

    For instance, often there is limits on commercial use.

     

    Thanks for the reminder. I have never sold a photo and doubt that I ever will. While I have a few above water photo's over fireplaces. They were gifts.

     

    Looking in hindsight, all my previous underwater photo's were snap shots. They are not unlike quick arrangements of family at Disney or various locations, they just had fish in place of humans. I just never considered the photo thinking I did above water when I was underwater.

    With the advent of finding this site, seeing the work of others here, reading recommended books, my most recent trip was much better but certainly not great.

    PS4 will just provide another tool as I try to improve the final product and perhaps one day have an underwater photo over a fireplace.

  10. Have to say I have long used photoshop (stuck at CS3 for cost) - but had a great demo of lightroom by Steve Williams while in Cayman in Jan.

     

    mmmm those graduated filters.....

    CS4 now offers local adjustments via grad filters and burn and dodge in Adobe Camera RAW.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.