Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Your Most Unreliable

Started by james ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Your Most Unreliable

6 posts
  1. What would you say is you most unreliable piece of UW photo equipment?

     

    I would tend to say Strobes. I have gone through a bunch of them but I have finally settled on a pair that seems pretty good.

     

    What about you?

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. My most unreliable parts have been battery chargers. In observing others, I'd say the worst offenders are sync cables and strobe battery compartment floods. For video it's definitely wet connectors (and L&M monitor backs!).

  3. I would say my brain. Everything else will operate with proper forethought.

  4. Strobes. I carry three. I have needed the backup at least 2 out of every 3 trips. This topic came up when I was diving with Ken Knezick. He had similar stories and had a problem with one his strobes on our trip.

     

    But their service is great!

     

    All other problems were user inflicted.

  5. Power converters when traveling over seas. I finally found a comercial step up /down converter that can handle it, but it is heavy.

     

    Never had a strobe quit.

     

    Mike

  6. For me, it's sync cords. One microscopic drop of seawater can corrode a contact (and you might not even be able to see it). At the very least, it can cause loss of TTL, at the worst, you have a funny-looking paperweight.

     

    In any case, I carry a spare sync cord.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.