Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Tiny Baby Whale Shark Discovered

Started by shawnh ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Tiny Baby Whale Shark Discovered

11 posts
  1. fe-Smallest_Whale_Shark-Million-Dollar-Baby.gif

    WWF Philippines

     

    "For many years, scientists thought that Donsol was merely one of many “gas stations” along the global network of marine highways where whale sharks cruised. This new discovery is the first ever indication that this coastline may actually be a “birthing site”. This comes as no surprise. After all, all this happened in the Coral Triangle – the nursery of the seas – where life begins, and many things remain possible."

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

     

    I just had to post this. I thought these sharks were born much bigger than this. Who would have guessed! Goes to show how little we know about even some of the biggest creatures on our planet.

     

    http://www.wwf.org.ph/newsfacts.php?pg=det&id=144#

  2. Wow a mini me...Floppy Whale Shark..

    Wonder how many days ago it was born.

  3. amazing. i would have thought they were born larger than that. i have never seen a photo of a tiddler before.

     

    cheers for the info

     

    stew

  4. This is really a revelation not having seen a picture of a baby whale shark before. Thanks for posing

     

    Cheers,

     

    Diggy

  5. Very informative! And it is relatively small indeed :bye:

  6. amazing. i would have thought they were larger than that. i have never seen a photo of a tiddler before.

     

    You sound just Like Dean's internet girlfriend!

     

     

    It is amazing what the sea churns up. i just hope it doesn't turn out to be well developed foetus from a dead shark.

  7. Outstanding!

     

    Todd

  8. Amazing to see a photo of a neonate whale shark. Imagine seeing 300 of these things popping out of a mature female! At such a small size (55-65 cm at birth) , I can understand why the species gives birth to such large litters. I can imagine a tiger or bull gobbling these up by the dozen.

  9. I just had to post this. I thought these sharks were born much bigger than this. Who would have guessed! Goes to show how little we know about even some of the biggest creatures on our planet.

     

     

    Wow great shot. Amazing to see...

  10. Wow great shot. Amazing to see...

     

    Thanks for posting... that is really amazing. :bye:

  11. Definitely an interesting post.

    I have always wondered why we never see pictures of neo-natel whalesharks...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.