Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Need advice about scratched WP-DC300 housing

Started by gorka ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Need advice about scratched WP-DC300 housing

5 posts
  1. Hi everybody

     

    I am new on the site and i would like to know your opinion, advices and coments about a WP-DC300 camera housing that I bought recently.

     

    I bought it in Andorra for a bargain price of 100 Euro when the normal price was of 229 Euros in internet. Stunished by the price I bought it straight away without thinking too much, or rather, thinking that the shop assistent had made a mistake and that it was my lucky day.

     

    After I started thinking....

     

    In fact the guy told me that the cases didnt have a gwarantee (and in fact I think they do), and I only got the receipt for my credict card payment, no bill or anything to specify what I had actually bought.

     

    First question: Is there any way now to get the gwarantee from canon?

     

    Suspicious and paranoic as I am, I tested the case in a little presure chambre down to 3 bars, and it seems perfectly fine, and tryed in a water fose down to 15 meters also went fine pressing every single boton.

     

    The case seems perfectly new and clean, the box was complet and the liquids were not opened (the bag of camera itself it was opened), it just have some, almost unapreciable scratches close to the left hand side botons.

     

    So thats the story, I know its hard to tell (unless you actually see it), but I would like to know your opinion. Was it my lucky day, or those scratches will get bigger and finally let water inside the case and destroy my 600 euros new S50?

     

    Thank you all for reading all the way untill here.

     

    I wait for your opinions

     

    Thank you again

     

    Gorka

  2. Well,

     

    I don't think the scratches are a problem and Canon doesn't have any warranty for the case and in the warranty for the camera is states specially that if you flood it oh well, tough luck.

     

    What can you do ... not much. Insure your camera or risk it.

     

    I flooded an S40 on my first dive after I preasure tested it down to about 40 ft. How did I flood it? I put a strobe tray on it and the camera holders pushed on the case and bent it and water came in. It was in the camera bucket on the boat.

     

    Even if it was fresh water, Canon asked for too much money to repair it so I had to buy another one.

     

    Now I have a brand new S50 and I took it down in the same case and it worked fine.

    I had it down to 120 ft without no problems.

     

    Good luck.

  3. Hi Vlad, and thank you for your coments.

     

    Sorry to hear about your unfortunate flooding.

     

    I was checking this webpage (http://www.digideep.com/product.php?pType=housing&mID=7&pID=283)

    where they stated that the housing have a 24 months canon warranty, that is why I mentioned about the warranty, what do you think? . Another issue would be how to ask for it, or how to prove to Canon where, when and for how much I bought the camera.

     

    Otherwise thanks again for your coments, I also think that the scratches are not big deal but you know, when you put your camera inside and take it underwater every little doubt becomes a big worry (I guess that would happen even if I had payed full price for it), so is always good to hear somebody elses' opinion.

     

    Thanks again

     

    Gorka

  4. I've just gone through fighting with Canon and their lack of warranty for their housings.

     

    I flooded my A40 about a month ago and it died immediately. Canon will not replace it will not repair it - the A60/70 is what they suggested I purchase (which doesn't fit the same housing!!) So I bought one 2nd hand off of EBay. Much cheaper than insurance and the A70+a new housing!!!

     

    But before I flooded it (my own stupid fault!!) I had it down to 120 ft with no problems and it worked great!!

     

    Kim

  5. Does any company give a full insurance to the camera and housing, even if its human fault?

    I don't think so, but I'll be happy to know I'm wrong.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.