Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Can you convert M2T file to MPEG?

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Can you convert M2T file to MPEG?

14 posts
  1. Using Sony Vegas. The format I choose is MPEG2, HDV 1080x60i. But the file shows up in My Documents as a M2T file. I can't upload this to Vimeo and the PS3 will not play it. Is there a way to covert this saved file to MPEG? Just renaming does not work. Thanks...

    Edited by NWDiver
  2. Using Sony Vegas. The format I choose is MPEG2, HDV 1080x60i. But the file shows up in My Documents as a M2T file. I can't upload this to Vimeo and the PS3 will not play it. Is there a way to covert this saved file to MPEG? Just renaming does not work. Thanks...

     

    MPEG Streamclip should do the trick MPEG Streamclip

  3. Thanks, that worked. But PS3 does not want to seem to play the file. Works in everything else.

  4. Thanks, that worked. But PS3 does not want to seem to play the file. Works in everything else.

     

     

    Could be the Codec? Have you tried another variation (MPEG-4 etc.?)

  5. Try running the file through the freeware program MPEG2REPAIR. Google it for many download links

  6. Thanks, will try the above. Sony Vegas Platinum only gives you MPEG1, MPEG2, AVI, WMV, QT, REAL, Sony AVC and a variety of Templates.

     

    Another tact... are there any sights you can post HD vids that are larger than 1 GIG?

  7. The Sony AVC render option in Vegas has templates for bluray. They work fine. You can render and burn onto a standard DVD and it will play on a blueray player including ps3. It will look as good as your m2t original.

     

    If you are looking to post 1280 x 720 HD on Vimeo take a look at my reply to you on scubaboard. With those settings, 5 minutes of vid will be apprx 300mb. How long is the video you want to post ?

     

    You can try these other software options mentioned above, but since you already bought and own Sony Vegas, why not use it ?

    Edited by ronscuba
  8. When we travel we always meet people who would like the long, +45min version, often 2-3G. Thought it would be nice to have a place to post them rather than mailing DVDs. Thanks for all the help will try the above..

  9. When we travel we always meet people who would like the long, +45min version, often 2-3G. Thought it would be nice to have a place to post them rather than mailing DVDs. Thanks for all the help will try the above..

     

    Hey, since you have a website, you could simply make the file available there for download, or you could use a simple anonymous FTP account to share out the file (which would make downloading better if there was a disconnect). Your grateful fellow travellers could not watch online, but at least they could download the file...

     

    You can also run your files through eRight's SUPER to get them to play on the PS3... that's pretty easy. I just hooked up my PS3 to my gigabit router and gigabit PC, and now streaming HD video to the HDTV is pure magic... This is especially important here in Thailand, since i have to download everything I watch...

     

    PS: Your Raja video on Vimeo downloads as an MP4 and plays great on the PS3...

  10. NWDiver, what is the source format of your clips? HDV? What camera are you using?

  11. Thanks for the input. I have thought of putting the files on my MISC page so others can just download the files I think I will give it a try. The video section has never functioned they way I wanted.

     

    The source is HDV tapes for the Sony HC7. Trip like this we typically have 10-12hrs of tape to go thru.

  12. If you want to convert to HDV to post online then I would upload it in AVC format (AVC is the same as H.264). This applies to whether you're uploading a file to be downloaded direct by the viewer, or sending a video host a file to re-encode and host for you. The easiest way to do this in Sony Vegas is to use either the Sony AVC codec that you've already mentioned or the MainConcept codec one that's in there too. The quality is very similar. There are other methods of making AVC that is higher quality for the same bitrate (e.g. frameserve to the x264 codec or run the file through something like TMPGenc Xpress 4.0 that has a later MainConcept codec) , but these are more complex workflows.

     

    If you send YouTube a file that is 720p or higher resolution then they will publish it at 720p and, provided the file you send them has been deinterlaced well and is high enough bitrate, the result is nice.

  13. Thanks, will try the above. Sony Vegas Platinum only gives you MPEG1, MPEG2, AVI, WMV, QT, REAL, Sony AVC and a variety of Templates.

    I created my own "template" in Vegas and named it "Vimeo upload". Then I render to this. Check the vimeo site, they tell you the resolution settings to use for HD uploads. The quality of the video is fair.. I'm sure I could have done it better, but you can see my results at

    http://www.vimeo.com/user612345/videos/sort:date

  14. The codec game is just mind-numbing.

     

    I find that sometimes simply renaming a file - ie changing the file extension - will resolve inscrutable compatibility problems. You can always try conversions if renaming doesn't work.

     

    E.g. - often I will change DIVX .avi's to .mp4's and that will allow them to play on my Blackberry.

     

    I believe that .MT2 is actually mpeg 2 ... I'd try and simply change the file extension to .mpeg before going the conversion route.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.