Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

e20 n & Titan

Started by jnich ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

e20 n & Titan

10 posts
  1. Hi, it has almost been a year since some of us started receiving our Titan for use with E10 or E20 - I am wondering how we are doing with this setup - I don't see any posts

     

    Personally, I am pleased, albiet challenged in various ways - gotten some great shots - usually need color correction and other photoshop enhancements. As far as the housing - the right handle can not seem to send a good signal to ROC or the camera but I get by with the left handle.

     

    But I would like to hear some feedback of others who invested in this relatively expensive setup.

     

    Nick

  2. Well, I feel like a turncoat posting here, but James asked, so here we go...

     

    All in all I love the rig, it's big but so are all of the dslr housings. I love the handle buttons for strobe control and af lock. I'm very pleased with the camera performance and the shots I've gotten with it, and unlike jnich, I very, very seldom do any color correction (shoot RAW).

     

    Added the wetmate lenses late last year and am very pleased with them. The one hitch with the housing was a componant failure on the ROC controller which crippled my strobes for a week, and required a trip back to the mother ship in Monterrey. Other than that, I consider it a keeper!

  3. I've upgraded to a D100. I got great photos with the E20, but the noise levels and write speed are big disadvantages. I think it is a great system to start with, but you can't beat interchangeable lenses! My Titan is listed in the classifieds - letting it go CHEAP

  4. Hi!

     

    I think it's mainly a problem with the E20, not the housing. It's fine as long as you've got enough light. Macros are great but doing wa available light shots you're scratching the limits pretty soon.

    There's a cheaper alternative to the titan housing (besides the plastic bag ;-) but the E20, I think is second choice nowadays (if you can afford a Dxxx).

    Let's see how the new Olympus E-System will perform. It's not too different from the Ex0 bodies to be housed in basically the same rig. Just a few adjustments to the controls. It shouldn't be a problem to change the design for a new one. Modification of existing housings will be a challenge though.

     

    Helge ;-)=)

  5. Hi Helge,

     

    I know your rig quite well, since it has it's own page on digideep.com :P

    I am interested. Will you continue shooting with it or move to

    another setup? I just would like to know what goes through

    your mind, because we recently jumped to DSLR... However

    we spend less money then you did and will not have to

    abandon our old setup, since we are always two shooters in

    the water...

     

    Are we all mad? or just addicts ;) ?

  6. Hi Andi!

     

    As I'm running the bruder E-20 prototype I need a few modifications (resulting in a new rear lid). My idea is to house the E-1 instead of the E-20 then. The chip is far more sensitive (up to ISO 3200) and the image quality could be better too (larger chip). The AF is said to be faster and more reliable. It would be some sort of saving of investment to keep most of the housing.

    On the other hand, the development going on at Nikon is watering my mouth. ;) there are lots of new DX lenses around ...

    If the E-1 turns out to hold the promises (in price, image quality, e.g.) I think I'll stick to Olympus. I started tests to house the Metz MZ-54 flash but the recent discussion on available light made me think about using uw WB instead. That's another control, I'll have to add.

    What I like with my rig is, that It's nearly as comfortable as self built. If there's a missing feature, I name it, I'll get it (and pay it :P ). At least I get what I want.

     

    To answer your question: we'r all bloody stupid addicts. :D

    Helge ;-)=)

  7. If the E-1 turns out to hold the promises (in price, image quality, e.g.) I think I'll stick to Olympus.

    Are you saying you are content with the pricing strategy of the E1???

  8. Hi!

     

    The announced pricing is too high. :( Rumors and expectations are quite a bit below the official values. When the E-1 hits the shopps in a few weeks it'll have to compete with some other quite well supported camera bodies. I hope that the street price will be significantly below the announced.

     

    I thought more of promises in technical terms. Prices are more of a philosophical persuation. They may vary without a special effort. Image quality e.g. tends to stick to certain rules :)

     

    Helge ;-)=)

  9. I think the E1 is doomed to fail. They need to come in around 1/2 the announced price point to have a prayer. Why would anyone buy into a very pricey 1st generation system with limited lenses and questionable future? Only if the price is lower than a D100/10D/S2. Also the trend in DSLRs is lower and lower pricing. With the D1H coming in at $3500 MSRP, I'd expect the next D100/S2 type cameras to come in under 2000. Oly has got to get WELL below this before users will buy. I do believe their only shot is getting E20, 5050 users to move up, but they need to have a camera + standard zoom combo under $1500.

  10. Oly has got to get WELL below this before users will buy. I do believe their only shot is getting E20, 5050 users to move up, but they need to have a camera + standard zoom combo under $1500.

     

    Exactly. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the next round of "prosumer" DSLRs from Nikon and Canon hit the the $1500 point including something like a 28-105 equivalent lens. Heck, the 10D is already close when you consider that you can get the camera for $1400 if you hit the right sale and consider that their entry-level USM lenses are around $200 . . .

     

    Mike

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.