Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Scratched Lens!!

Started by JohnJohnsonIII ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Scratched Lens!!

9 posts
  1. I was quite dismayed to see a sizeable scratch on my wide angle lens as I headed out this morning. Does anyone have any advice on repairing lenses? Is this possible? It is my beloved UN Wide Angle Lens...mahalo!

     

    --John

  2. ;) I'm not sure that there is much to be done.

     

    My Oly 5050 has a tiny pinpoint scratch right in the middle because the STUPID DESIGN PEOPLE made the plastic ring around the lens look like it extends just past the curve of the lens. However, it does not, so if you push the camera up to a window, it will scratch the front element.

     

    grrrrr.

  3. Hi!

     

    Water and glass (standard, not ED) share a nearly similar refraction. You shouldn't see any artefacts from small scratches on the outer surface(s). At least with a few corrections in PhotoShop.

    Give it a try. It might be possible that you are able to live with the results.

     

    Helge ;-)=)

  4. My Oly 5050 has a tiny pinpoint scratch right in the middle because the STUPID DESIGN PEOPLE made the plastic ring around the lens look like it extends just past the curve of the lens.

    Boy did I miss this one. Very good observation Eric. Too bad it came from experience. TedJ

  5. if you push the camera up to a window, it will scratch the front element.

    ...and the moral of the story is ;)

  6. if you push the camera up to a window, it will scratch the front element.

    ...and the moral of the story is ;)

    The moral of the story is to get in the water to shoot animals, instead of trying to do it in an aquarium. :P

  7. My Dome Port has a mark on it ... more of a "Scuff" than a scratch if that makes sense .... it's not deep, I did think about seeing if it could polish out or something but it doesn't seem to affect the shots at all so I would probably do more harm than good ;) it just annoys me when I look at the the port out of water, I blame Nikon! ... if they didn't allow me to get so darn close for the Macro shots I probably never would have marked it! :freak:

  8. Hello,

     

    I scratched the front of my ikelite flat port during my last trip. I mentioned it to Ikelite when I was calling to arrange a housing overhaul - and they said they could replace the just the front piece for $45. I sent the port and they had it back to me in less than a week looking good as new!

     

    The scratch didn't affect the pictures but I hated looking at it topside. I was even considering buying a new one (even though I kept telling myself it was fine). Money well spent. Thanks again to Ikelite.

     

    John

  9. Bob Stark had an email address for lens/dome polishing aids - Try a search or contact him by PS.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.