Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

How do you shoot Tarpon?

Started by Steve Williams ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

How do you shoot Tarpon?

11 posts
  1. Folks,

    I've struggled trying to capture those bright shiny swimming mirrors and always get trash can filler. On the last rip to Cayman I tried bouncing a strobe off the coral colored wall to see if I could liven up the fish and not over cook it. It almost worked but I only got one attempt. Left strobe full power aimed straight left at the wall. Right strobe normal position, 1/4 power, (basically head on). I used the 60mm, f8, 1/90, ISO200

     

    3366404554_1bebcb8fd7_o.jpg

     

    I'd love to see your great Tarpon shots and get some advise on how to shoot these guys.

     

    Appreciate any help,

    Steve

    Edited by Steve Williams
  2. Folks,

    I've struggled trying to capture those bright shiny swimming mirrors and always get trash can filler. On the last rip to Cayman I tried bouncing a strobe off the coral colored wall to see if I could liven up the fish and not over cook it. It almost worked but I only got one attempt. Left strobe full power aimed straight left at the wall. Right strobe normal position, 1/4 power, (basically head on). I used the 60mm, f8, 1/90, ISO200

     

    I'd love to see your great Tarpon shots and get some advise on how to shoot these guys.

     

    Appreciate any help,

    Steve

     

    Nice shots and color, never got them to look that good with the color. I usually just underexpose a bit so as to not get totally blown out silver. So the best I did is probably trash can filler. For some reason I think there was a recent thread about shooting a tarpon here (was it the GC thread) but did a sarch and did not pull it up. The bounce and strobe down looks liked it work well for you. Trying to dig up one of my borderline shots and I am pretty sure that I was ISO down (probably 100 usually shoot that), with higher shutter speed, and it wasn't close to what you got. Will keep on digging to see where it is.

  3. I like it Steve, you are definitely on a creative track here with the color, etc!

     

    I do recall seeing a nice shot of Eric Cheng's of a tarpon, I think at night in Bonaire, from a couple years ago. Maybe he will chime in with his pic/settings; when he reaches land again, of course. :drink:

     

    I love tarpon, I think it should be the state fish of Florida - but its the sailfish (go figure).....?

     

    Best, Carol

  4. Nice solution Steve. Yes these guys are difficult. Add a few more complications to the mix like a school with multiple subjects at different distances, free swimming (nothing to bounce off), deep so available light is not ideal.

    In a situation like this, I will resort to bumping up the ISO to rely mostly on available light, and cutting strobe way back with lowest strobe power and aperture. And then, still relying on post to bring out the best in the shot - in other words rely on post for contrast etc rather than blowing things out with your exposure. And one more thing, black and white. Here's an example - basic sharpened / curves image first then B&W.

    Here at 60 feet, ISO 400, 1/125sec, f9

     

    Jardin%20de%20la%20Reina2009-02-1610532%20-%20Version%202%20-%20Version%202.jpg

     

    Jardin%20de%20la%20Reina2009-02-1610532%20-%20Version%202%20-%20Version%202%20(1).jpg

     

    And then there's the final version that hangs on the wall.

     

    Jardin%20de%20la%20Reina2009-02-1610532%20-%20Version%202%20-%20Version%202.jpg

    Edited by loftus
  5. Jeff that's a really cool one !

     

    Tarpons are really difficult subjects , i think that using the strobes at their minimum power ( Inons are great for that ) and trying to use an angle so try the light bounce off in a direction away from your lens ( non an easy task using an wide angle lens ). Also it helps to try to find them in shallow water with good ambient light.

  6. One of my favorite tarpon shots is one Giles captured from underneath.

     

    This was the closest I came to that emulating that shot last summer ... not particularly thrilled with how it came out, but it illustrates the concept - hopefully Giles will share his version.

     

    2622635569_a02ec9f830.jpg

     

    I blew out a tons of frames trying to get good portraits and close-ups ...

     

    Here's a decent one ... if you can call a butt shot decent ... it worked technically because I was finally able to light one with the strobes without any strobe light reflecting directly back at me ... the angles were finally right, even if the composition wasn't ideal.

     

    3367967976_cf9974320a_o.jpg

  7. Steve, I think it's a lovely shot and l love the added color! I've only been to GC once shooting fish and am looking forward to going back in Jan. Here's one I took with my point and shoot. Yours is really dynamic!

    tarpon.jpg

  8. Thanks Scott I really like how the blue reflects off the back in your shot.

     

    Jeremy , I got a few of those fish butts too. When they are all lined up in the cuts in the coral it seems like there ought to be a great shot there. I just haven't found it yet.

     

    Elbuzo, Like you I was trying to position the strobes to get an upward angle, seems like there is always one big scale reflecting.. Your really low power thought may be one of the keys, I'll give it a try next time.

     

    Jeff, I really like your B&W idea, I hadn't thought of it. I have a face shot where it might work.

     

    post-4526-1237473148.jpg

     

    I'll play with it some more.

     

    Carol, glad you think I'm "creative", made my day. Coming from you that's huge. :drink: I'll dig around and see if I can find Eric's shot.

     

    Drew, keep digging partner. I'd love to see a great Tarpon shot.

     

    Cheers all,

    Steve

  9. Found one more, taken on the same dive as the last one, same exposure. Uncropped.

    Jardin%20de%20la%20Reina2009-02-1610488%20-%20Version%202.jpg

    Edited by loftus
  10. nice and valuable information

  11. found one too

    post-8758-1237803178.jpg

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.