Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Mounting pony bottle

Started by scorpio_fish ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Mounting pony bottle

13 posts
  1. Has anybody dived with side mounted pony, i.e. like a stage bottle? If so, did it interfere with maneuvering you or your camera rig?

  2. I've not done it with a pony bottle, just with a stage bottle (80 ft3 AL). It takes some getting used to, but it's not too bad. The thing that makes it easier with a pony bottle than a stage is that you don't always use a pony, where you would always have to work with the stage.

     

    I'd recommend that you try it without a camera a couple times first though.

  3. You might have to deal with the lopsided trim, too, depending on the bottle. I've done it with a battery canister where I had to add offsetting weight.

  4. Good point Craig. It's certainly an issue with a stage bottle. Might not be too bad with a 19 ft3 or smaller, but 30 or 40 ft3 would make a big difference.

  5. I dive with a small pony bottle (12 Cubic ft) using the pony bottle tamer system which attaches to your main tank. Doesn't get in the way at all. No problem with the camera.

  6. I use the pony tamers to mount my video light batteries but I bolt the brackets directly to the backplate. See here. The advantage is that you can still fit the rig into most boats' tank holders while the canisters are attached. My previous tankstrap solutions didn't allow that and I got tired of my rig being (mis)handled special. There's an additional win moving the weight closer in. Very easy to dive with even when grossly overweighted.

     

    Don't know if anyone would got this route with a pony but it isn't difficult.

  7. I tried doing the stage bottle rigging a few times and did not like it. It seemed to be in the way when shooting. If I didn't have a camera I wouldn't mind. Also, I tend to clip my rig where the stage would go when doing a safety stop or swiming to the boat. I use a Pont Tamer from Reef Scuba and like it very much. If you want a more permanant mount for your pony look at Highland's Pony Bands (very nice).

  8. I dive with 1 or 2 stage bottles (steel 45's) on almost every dive. Once you are accustomed to the side mounts adding the camera shouldnt be a problem.

     

    Ditto tshepherd's comment - master the stage(s) first without the camera. You will know when you have it right when you can take them off and switch sides underwater comfortably. Also use LARGE bolt snaps on both the neck and waist they are easier to get hold of when you cant see them and they wont trap lines, hoses etc. like a carabiner type will.

  9. When I dive solo or with unknown buddies, I dive with a 13 cuft pony stage mounted. I find I hve no problems at all. In fact, the first stage can provide a "shelf" on which to rest my left arm while shooting.

     

    You will need to offset with 2-3# on the right side.

     

    I used to use a back mounted system and didn't like it, primarily because when I would turn to look up, the extra weight on the back tends to keep pulling you around the fulcrum, making it harder to maintain trim.

     

    Plus, as a stage mount, I have visual access to the regs (in case of leak) and can hand the pony off if need be. And changing tanks on vacation is easier because I've got nothing attached to the tank.

     

    The stage mount also has the bottle riding up under your slipstream. As well, less of entanglement point (especially diving in kelp) on my back.

     

    My .02 anyway

     

    Chris

  10. Just tried this yesterday with my 19cu'.

     

    Worked ok. But I had the tank on my left and the reg was led wrong. Which side do you wear your pony/stage? I usually clip my camera to my left D-ring. Seems like having my pony on my right would be better.

     

    Jack

  11. O2 on the right, nitrox on the left.

  12. I mount it on the left, less in the way where the air is coming from

  13. Same as Nemo, Nitrox / Air on the left, O2 on the right. Pony mounted with a Highland band on the right side of my single tank if I'm using one.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.