I'm in Utila right now and my camera is failing me. I have a Canon Xti with the Ikelite housing and dual DS 51 substrobes. I tried it out in the pool before leaving with my Sigma 10-20mm wide angle and it worked fine. The port had not come for the Canon 100mm macro yet so I couldn't try that out. Now that I have it in the housing with the macro on it will not take a photo unless on full auto. In fact, it won't even try to focus or anything. It works fine outside of the housing. Please tell me what's going on!
Mat Brutger
Strike that, it won't even do anything on full auto now.
Hi Matt,
If it still works outside the housing you may have a situation where a button is being partially depressed. All I can think of with so little info to go on. Are you using a focusing ring on the 100mm? Does it work when the camera is installed in the housing but the back of the housing is not installed?
Steve
Sorry if the question is stupid, but are you sure you didn't switch to manual focus accidentally when inserting the camera in the housing? I had a heartstopping moment once with the same lens in my Ike housing. When I got the camera out, the same thing happened and the autofocus was switched back on. Took me some time to figure out what's going on...
Cheers!
I have no idea about the name of this button in english, but the one which is at the base of the lense.
if the housing press on it all the time, it won't work. please move the black button down left on the housing and try different positions, it might work.
I'm not sure I'm clear, but it happened to me. just touch everything and try again ^^.
also, with the ikelite levers (located on the top right side) , sometimes they will push on one of the buttons as well. Turn them so they are not resting on one of the buttons.
Right. If the lens release lever is flipped the wrong way, it will push on the depth of field preview button or another button, and your camera will be locked.
Be very careful with all of the LEVERS when you put the camera into the housing and make sure they are facing the right direction.
Cheers
James
Right. If the lens release lever is flipped the wrong way, it will push on the depth of field preview button or another button, and your camera will be locked.
Be very careful with all of the LEVERS when you put the camera into the housing and make sure they are facing the right direction.
Cheers
James
Thanks for translating what I was trying to say, I learnt new words today
Thanks everyone! I got it working today and got a few decent shots. Still trying to get this all down though.
NEW PROBLEM
One of my strobes just stopped working. It doesn't look like it flooded. When I turn it on every once in a while the ready light will flash green and then go off. Normally the light is orange (I have two Ikelite DS 51 substrobes). I tried changing the batteries but it didn't make a difference. Any ideas?
Thanks everyone! I got it working today and got a few decent shots. Still trying to get this all down though.
NEW PROBLEM
One of my strobes just stopped working. It doesn't look like it flooded. When I turn it on every once in a while the ready light will flash green and then go off. Normally the light is orange (I have two Ikelite DS 51 substrobes). I tried changing the batteries but it didn't make a difference. Any ideas?
Matt,let us know how you think the original problem was corrected. I had the same problem and after getting on dry land followed the tips given here and I was shooting again. Which tip worked for me? I can't say. It seems to happen more when shooting macro. Hank
Hank,
I'm not completely sure what the problem was. I made sure that all the buttons and levers that I didn't need at the time were pulled out so they weren't touching the camera. I also found that the little rubber piece that goes on the end of the lever which depresses the shutter button had fallen off inside the housing. It may be that it just wasn't pushing down the button enough. Whatever the cause, it's working completely fine now.
We're calling Ikelite as soon as they open, hopefully they'll be able to solve the problem.
Mat
Hank,
I'm not completely sure what the problem was. I made sure that all the buttons and levers that I didn't need at the time were pulled out so they weren't touching the camera. I also found that the little rubber piece that goes on the end of the lever which depresses the shutter button had fallen off inside the housing. It may be that it just wasn't pushing down the button enough. Whatever the cause, it's working completely fine now.
We're calling Ikelite as soon as they open, hopefully they'll be able to solve the problem.
Mat
I had a set of Ike DS-125's and had a very similar thing happen while in Bonaire. One strobe would sound like and look like (ready light) it was working but would not fire. Initially the modeling light would work but then it quit. Still got the charging sound and lights but no strobe. Changed cables etc. No joy! We used our one good strobe the rest of the week. Sent the strobe to Ike and it was quickly repaired. The issue was a very small leak in the Bulkhead (front) of the strobe. You could not see any water inside the glass but apparantly it was enough to disrupt proper function. It frustrated me for several days before I gave up and enjoyed the rest of my vacation.