Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

More help needed...

Started by mtbrutger ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

More help needed...

4 posts
  1. I already posted this in the last thread I started, but I want to make sure somebody notices this so I started a second thread.

     

    Ikelite DS 51 substrobe

    batteries are fine

    doesn't seem to be flooded

    won't turn on

     

    Once when I turned it on after it stopped working the ready light flashed green for a second then turned off. Normally the ready light is orange.

     

    HELP ME!

     

    This is my version of beginners luck, the kind of luck where everything fails me.

     

    Mat Brutger

  2. Thanks everyone! I got it working today and got a few decent shots. Still trying to get this all down though.

     

    NEW PROBLEM

     

    One of my strobes just stopped working. It doesn't look like it flooded. When I turn it on every once in a while the ready light will flash green and then go off. Normally the light is orange (I have two Ikelite DS 51 substrobes). I tried changing the batteries but it didn't make a difference. Any ideas?

     

    FWIW (also ties into your other post) I had the same problem with a housing where the controls were working off and on, camera became unresponsive and then the strobes behaved poorly. Turns out there was a slow leak in the housing in one of the controls, pretty new housing with less than 18 dives on it, and then I started seeing minor water in the bottom after a few dives (which was when I found out that it was a leak that caused some gremlins.) The leak was not evident until the control was used. May not be happening to you now, but figured I should mention it just in case as a heads up.

     

    Are these both strobes or just one? Have you tried one at a time or different synch cords?

  3. If the strobe is connected via sync cord - unscrew and check each connection, one drop of water in any of the connections can cause it all to short out.

    Have everything connected on dry land with the front of the housing off and systematically check through everything (every button, every connection) one at a time.

     

    Oh and disconnect all cords from the strobe - does the strobe appear to function properly then ? If it does, connect one end of the sync cable, does it still work ? Then connect the other end, does it still work ? ..... you get the idea....

    Edited by cpix
  4. We've tried switching the cable and that doesn't seem to be the problem. The one it was connected to works completely fine with the other strobe. I think the bulb is bad because when I turn on the strobe the camera/housing recognizes it is turned on so it doesn't seem to be the electronics. We're calling Ikelite in a little bit.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.