I sorta helped a friend sell his pic on a German mag in exchange for dinner at my fave restaurant. He told me today that magazine charged him VAT on payment to his bank account, which to me is unheard of. I thought German VAT rules for non-resident (German or EU) was that the payer (service purchaser) has the burden of VAT tax and not the payee (service provider)?
Anyone have anyone experience with picture sales in Germany? This is a really good dinner I'm about to lose! 
Cross border VAT is my area of professional expertise so I will attempt to explain how this works. Whilst I work for the UK tax authorities, VAT is an EU wide tax based upon common principals. Therefore, the rules should be the same in all Member States.
When you sell the rights to publish a picture you are making a grant of copyright (a service) and this falls under the 1st indent of Article 56 of the EC VAT Directive. As such it is taxable where the recipient belongs. As your friend is supplying the picture to the German publisher (i.e. a German recipient), the service is subject to VAT in Germany. However, under the reverse charge provisions, the publisher should account for the VAT rather than the supplier. This is applied on top of the consideration for the supply (i.e. if he sells the right for 100 EUR and German VAT is at 21% than the VAT is 21 EUR). Now, if the publisher is self billing then the invoice he issues would show 100 EUR + 21EUR VAT. The publisher can then recover the VAT on his return. It has a nil net tax effect.
The upshot of all of this is the your friend may receive an self billed invoice showing VAT but this should not effect the amount he is actually paid for the publishing rights.
Clear? Mud?
Daniel