Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Dragonet from Lembeh

Started by BrianM ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Dragonet from Lembeh

10 posts
  1. It's about 4cm to 5cm long and was found in shallow 3 metres depth.

     

    To me it looks similar to a Long Filament Dragonet (Callionymus keeleyi), except it doesn't have a long filamentous dorsal.

     

    3385681509_2c6b02f21f_o.jpg

  2. Gee Brian,

     

    Nearly 'non-existent' DOF. . . . how many Inon's have you screwed on for this image?

    Nice image of a well camoflagued fish.

     

    Bruce

    Edited by bruceterrill
  3. Gee Brian,

     

    Nearly 'non-existent' DOF. . . . how many Inon's have you screwed on for this image?

    Nice image of a well camoflagued fish.

     

    Bruce

     

    Thanks Bruce. It was so well camouflaged I wouldn't have seen it if it had stayed still. Just the two lenses but a lot of zoom.

    I thought you were going to ID it for me. :-)

  4. I thought you were going to ID it for me. :-)

     

    I did. . . . :)

     

    "It's a well camoflagued fish. . . ."

     

    Bruce...

  5. Might be a marbled dragonet, Synchiropus ocellatus.

  6. Might be a marbled dragonet, Synchiropus ocellatus.

     

    I don't think so when I compare it with images here http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/ThumbnailsSummary.php?ID=7981

    Also I'm not sure the range extends as far as Lembeh, Sulawesi.

    However all suggestions are welcome, thank you for looking.

    Edited by BrianM
  7. Yeah, it's hard for my uneducated eye to tell from photos. According to Kuiter/Debelius, Synchiropus ocellatus inhabits shallow reefs and its range includes Indonesia, Philippines and Malaysia. Also, only the male has the very tall dorsal fin. Whatever yours is, you sure got a great shot of its face.

  8. Yeah, it's hard for my uneducated eye to tell from photos. According to Kuiter/Debelius, Synchiropus ocellatus inhabits shallow reefs and its range includes Indonesia, Philippines and Malaysia. Also, only the male has the very tall dorsal fin. Whatever yours is, you sure got a great shot of its face.

     

    Perhaps the spines that stick out of it's head above the eyes are a diagnostic feature, you can see them a bit better in this profile shot. (D'oh, I should have posted it earlier).

     

    3388141024_d555209e63_o.jpg

  9. Take a look at this Brian - http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=17464

     

    Might be a Anaora tentaculata, or tentacled dragonet, identified by a "moderately long tentacle behind the eye".

     

    Thanks, that sounds about right including the habitat. I didn't recall any "small leafy appendages on the body", but reckon there could be signs of that in the bottom left corner of my 2nd photo.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.