Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Encore output to BD5

Started by rlmalisz ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Encore output to BD5

9 posts
  1. I know there's been some discussion here about taking the output of Encore (or anything else that will output a BD folder) and burning to DVD-R. I've struggled with BDedit and other tools to try to get to fully functional BD5 disk, and have managed to do it, but was never sure it was worth the agony. It order to do this with BDedit (which only runs under WinXX), you have to start with a index.bdmv that already has the AVCHD "tag" in the ExtensionData area, and then value-by-value, modify that file to match everything else about your index.bdmv. Painful. Prone to error. Requires Windows.

     

    I've finally gleaned enough infomation about this "tag" from online patent disclosures, helpful hints here and there, and binary reverse-engineering of the file format to make a (tiny) tool that modifies my index.bdmv files in-place, just adding the AVCHD tag and calling it a day. I'm doing this on Leopard, but there's nothing platform-specific about the code.

     

    So this changed the old workflow:

    Encore->BDMV folder->copy files to Win VM->use two instances of BDedit and AVCHD template to cobble together BD5 versions of my index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv->copy back to BDMV folder->burn to DVD5 with Toast->pray I didn't screw up

     

    to:

     

    Encore->BDMV folder->run BD5_index->burn to DVD5 with Toast

     

    If anyone here cares about this and is doing everything they can to avoid putting out BD media $$$ to put short projects out that will play at BD resolutions, let me know.

     

    --Richard

     

    PS: To be clear--I know you can burn a BDMV folder to a DVD5, pop it into a PS3, navigate to the streams folder and play the stream there. My goal--and what I am now able to do--was to be able to have the disc have fully functional menus. I insert the disk, the PS3 says "AVCHD" for a brief moment, and the first play menu comes up. On the standalone BD players I have access to, the behavior is the same, minus the brief "AVCHD" advisory. I am authoring the streams at 15mpbs (H.264), which exceeds the DVD spec, but on 8X DVD-R media in BD players, I have seen no issues.

    Edited by rlmalisz
  2. I know there's been some discussion here about taking the output of Encore (or anything else that will output a BD folder) and burning to DVD-R. I've struggled with BDedit and other tools to try to get to fully functional BD5 disk, and have managed to do it, but was never sure it was worth the agony. It order to do this with BDedit (which only runs under WinXX), you have to start with a index.bdmv that already has the AVCHD "tag" in the ExtensionData area, and then value-by-value, modify that file to match everything else about your index.bdmv. Painful. Prone to error. Requires Windows.

     

    I've finally gleaned enough infomation about this "tag" from online patent disclosures, helpful hints here and there, and binary reverse-engineering of the file format to make a (tiny) tool that modifies my index.bdmv files in-place, just adding the AVCHD tag and calling it a day. I'm doing this on Leopard, but there's nothing platform-specific about the code.

     

    So this changed the old workflow:

    Encore->BDMV folder->copy files to Win VM->use two instances of BDedit and AVCHD template to cobble together BD5 versions of my index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv->copy back to BDMV folder->burn to DVD5 with Toast->pray I didn't screw up

     

    to:

     

    Encore->BDMV folder->run BD5_index->burn to DVD5 with Toast

     

    If anyone here cares about this and is doing everything they can to avoid putting out BD media $ to put short projects out that will play at BD resolutions, let me know.

     

    --Richard

     

    PS: To be clear--I know you can burn a BDMV folder to a DVD5, pop it into a PS3, navigate to the streams folder and play the stream there. My goal--and what I am now able to do--was to be able to have the disc have fully functional menus. I insert the disk, the PS3 says "AVCHD" for a brief moment, and the first play menu comes up. On the standalone BD players I have access to, the behavior is the same, minus the brief "AVCHD" advisory. I am authoring the streams at 15mpbs (H.264), which exceeds the DVD spec, but on 8X DVD-R media in BD players, I have seen no issues.

     

     

    Hello Richard

     

    My name is Hugo and I'm trying to do the same as you, putting BD media on dvd, but i have a few questions if you can answer i will be thanful.

     

    I'm doing on a mac, with final cut and because the video in Full HD uncompressed 8 bit, (90 Gb), I'm exporting with Aplle Prores 422 at 24p, to lower the size, but then I 've seen some people in the forums telling that they do the video transcoding on Toast instead of compressor.

    Did you use compressor, toast or encore?

     

    2nd question - did you created pop-up menus on encore?? did they worked ok?? I saw very little information on blu-ray authoring for encore, as I saw a few tutorials for lynda.com and there is only one small chapter for blu-ray.

     

    I would like to ask you if you can place here your encoding settings for the h.264 AVC transcoding.

     

    I trying to make BD5's for a few episodes that I would like to show.

     

    It seems to me that your post is the first one who explains a bit the workflow to do blu-ray on a mac.

     

    Thanks in advance

     

    Hugo Castro

  3. Hello Richard

     

    My name is Hugo and I'm trying to do the same as you, putting BD media on dvd, but i have a few questions if you can answer i will be thanful.

     

    I'm doing on a mac, with final cut and because the video in Full HD uncompressed 8 bit, (90 Gb), I'm exporting with Aplle Prores 422 at 24p, to lower the size, but then I 've seen some people in the forums telling that they do the video transcoding on Toast instead of compressor.

    Did you use compressor, toast or encore?

     

    2nd question - did you created pop-up menus on encore?? did they worked ok?? I saw very little information on blu-ray authoring for encore, as I saw a few tutorials for lynda.com and there is only one small chapter for blu-ray.

     

    I would like to ask you if you can place here your encoding settings for the h.264 AVC transcoding.

     

    I trying to make BD5's for a few episodes that I would like to show.

     

    It seems to me that your post is the first one who explains a bit the workflow to do blu-ray on a mac.

     

    Thanks in advance

     

    Hugo Castro

     

    1) I am editing the video in Premiere Pro CS4, and then doing a "send to Encore". In Encore, I have the encoding settings at full HD, 15mbps, AC3 audio. The resulting video looks great.

     

    2) I haven't touched any of the fancy pop-up menu stuff.

     

    --Richard

  4. 1) I am editing the video in Premiere Pro CS4, and then doing a "send to Encore". In Encore, I have the encoding settings at full HD, 15mbps, AC3 audio. The resulting video looks great.

     

    2) I haven't touched any of the fancy pop-up menu stuff.

     

    --Richard

     

    Thanks Richard

     

    One more question, does it fit on BD5 , and how many minutes can you place on DVD with your settings??

     

    Cheers

     

    Hugo

  5. Thanks Richard

     

    One more question, does it fit on BD5 , and how many minutes can you place on DVD with your settings??

     

    Cheers

     

    Hugo

     

    So my dive videos run short...the most recent one was a smidge over 5 minutes. It took 500M--this was encoded at 15mbps, as described. My math says that I could get about 45 minutes onto a DVD-R DVD-5 at this encoding rate.

     

    --Richard

  6. Sorry, but where would I get " BD5_index"

    Thanx so much

  7. Sorry, but where would I get " BD5_index"

    Thanx so much

     

    Let me know what platform you need it for, and an email address where I can send you a copy.

     

    --Richard

  8. I'm working on a mac osx 10.5.8- intel

     

    My email: esempere@msn.com

     

    Thank you, Richard .

  9. I'm a begginer in Mac OsX

    Where should I put this app, in order to run it.

     

    You don't know how much I appreciate your help .

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.