Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Whale Hunting

Started by wetpixel ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Whale Hunting

7 posts
  1. There has been a lot of attention recently about the International Whaling Commission and resuming whale hunting because of a Stanford/Harvard report about historically recorded whale numbers being as much as an order of magnitude too low.

     

    Some articles:

     

    http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectI...D1E394ACB8794F1

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2003Jul24.html

    http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa...8E780A84189EEDF

     

    Not related:

     

    One of them has a photo of two humpbacks with the caption "Humpback whales in singing position." I was under the impression that it was only single males that sang? Not that I have much experience, but I've never seen two humpbacks together, singing. And how can you tell they are singing, anyway? It just looks like they're hanging out. ;)

  2. I would agree. My understanding is that signing humpbacks hang vertically, head down in the water column. The shot of two humpbacks together looks more like a chill session than a jam session.

  3. I would agree. My understanding is that signing humpbacks hang vertically, head down in the water column. The shot of two humpbacks together looks more like a chill session than a jam session.

    I've seen one singing horizontally, but it is also my understanding that they mostly sing vertically. ;)

  4. ;):P

     

    I was going to edit my post, then I had an image (highly inappropriate I am sure) of a deaf humpback trying to use sign language horizontally.

     

    Signing indeed :angryfire:

  5. ;):P

     

    I was going to edit my post, then I had an image (highly inappropriate I am sure) of a deaf humpback trying to use sign language horizontally.

     

    Signing indeed :angryfire:

    hahaha!

     

    I didn't even notice that. :D

  6. Most of the Wale's I know personally have to sing horizontally on their backs - Too drunk to stand up ;)

  7. Someone is rather chipper today!

     

    Wife and kids in bed and Bob into the liquor cabinet again.LOL

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.