Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Strobe placement -- any guidelines?

Started by DanInSoCal ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Strobe placement -- any guidelines?

2 posts
  1. Hi, all. Not sure if this should be here or in the Beginner's forum. But what the hey.

     

    I'm pretty experienced with shooting with a P&S in a housing, and dSLR's on the surface, but I've just got an Ikelite Canon 30D/DS-160 rig (single strobe) with the ball-socket joint arms.

     

    Those arms with their many joints can move the strobe in a perplexing number of possible orientations. I was wondering if there were any guidelines you more experienced folks could share.

     

    I suppose I am after two basic setups: "general purpose" (few feet away, non-macro; fish, anemones, coral heads, sea fans, etc); and "macro". Obviously the exact setup will depend on the subject and all that.

     

    I'll probably have the strobe more-or-less centered unless there is reason for more "dramatic" lighting. However, some questions come up immediately:

    - Is it better to have the strobe in front of the lens or on the same plane?

    - Should the strobe be shooting more "down" (steeper angle) or "straight" (shallower angle)?

     

    Any such guidelines to make my trial/error period shorted would be appreciated!

     

    Thanks,

    Dan

    Edited by DanInSoCal
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.